Tutterrow: Volunteer work benefits us all

Clemson News // Courtesy
Students working on Habitat for Humanity homecoming build in 2018.

As college students, there is a lot of work on our plates, and the last thing we are searching for is another task to add to our everyday lives. However, volunteering benefits not only the world around us but provides volunteers with present and future benefits that you won’t find anywhere else.  
Volunteering is, for starters, the best way to get one foot in the door of the workforce. Companies are much more likely to take you on as a volunteer than a full-fledged paid employee. Even if the place you are volunteering at is different from the place you see yourself in the future, exposing yourself to new opportunities within various organizations and companies will teach you valuable skills.
Skills such as leadership, time management, teamwork, professionalism and communication are all learned and acquired when volunteering, according to Grand Canyon University. Working in skills-based volunteering will build up skills not typically developed within a classroom. Developing these talents will help you to get a leg up in your professional career.
Additionally, a volunteer job is a great way to boost your resume.  
About 75% of employers questioned in a recent survey said that job applicants with volunteer experience listed on their resumes have “boosted” career prospects, according to The Guardian. This volunteer experience can also showcase skills other portions of your resume may lack.
There are not many ways to get involved in general businesses and build up a network while still in school, but volunteering is the perfect way to do just that. While volunteering, you have the opportunity to meet all kinds of people and establish connections that will help you down the road. While volunteering, you get to meet other volunteers, employees, community members and leaders that may be your job-winning connection later on. 
Getting involved in volunteer work is also a great way to feel more connected to your community. Since most of the students here are far from home, this is a great way to connect with the Clemson area and create connections that make this community feel like home.  
Not to mention, volunteering is the perfect way for college students to spend some free time. Since you are volunteering and not a full-time employee, you can decide when you are willing to help out, and it’s adaptable based on your schedule. 
Most people tend to shy away from volunteer work because they are unsure how or where to jump in and get involved. Many places locally take volunteers, including Volunteers 4 LIFE, United Way of Pickens County, Rebuild Upstate, the South Carolina Botanical Garden, Letters of Love, Habitat for Humanity, Clemson Paw Pantry and Clemson Paw Pals. Many more groups and organizations can be found in TigerQuest or on your local United Way. 
Kylie Tutterrow is a freshman undeclared major from Spartanburg, South Carolina. Kylie can be reached at [email protected].