Making a difference and leaving a legacy

DF
DF

As I write to you all with a byline in The Tiger for the last time, I’m reflecting on my time as editor-in-chief with gratitude, honor and admiration for this organization.
In the blink of an eye, my time at Clemson is nearing its end. Soon, I’ll enter the ranks of generations before me and generations to come who will say, “I went to Clemson.” However, it is not without the team — the friends — who have been by my side through it all that have made this experience possible.
To my team at The Tiger: Without your drive, commitment and perseverance, the achievements we have made on South Carolina’s oldest college newspaper would not have been possible. Thank you for the late nights you have spent, the fresh perspectives you have brought and the laughs we have shared.
I would also like to thank Ms. Wanda Johnson, our fearless adviser and director of student media, for coaching our staff and me through times of turbulence, bureaucratic bottlenecks and all the ups and downs of student media.
Next, to Rebecca West, the previous editor who left me with great shoes to fill: thank you. You recovered The Tiger through the tumultuous times of the COVID-19 pandemic and overall leadership struggles from before your tenure. You laid a foundation that enabled us to make the progress that we did.
I must also recognize the University and its respect for us over the years. It comes as no surprise to say that we have published critical and controversial stories before. However, members of the University administration, including Amy Smith, Joe Galbraith, Philip Sikes and others, have maintained a commitment to working with us in good faith. I cannot take this professionalism for granted, as you see it lacking at many other universities across the country.
I am confident that Clemson University supports our right to the freedom of the press and has helped us to be the true voice of the Clemson student body.
Gratitude is also extended to all members of the Clemson community, whether it be faculty, business owners or other supporters who have enabled us to focus our stories on not just people but the Clemson Family.
And, of course, I have to thank my mother and father for only ever being a phone call and a day’s drive away and always being by my side whenever I need advice or a new approach to a problem.
Lastly, I would like to thank you — the reader — for not just turning to TV news or a national newspaper but having integrity in us as students to inform you of everything that happens at this great institution.
Being from Connecticut, the question I got the most during my time at Clemson was, “Why did you choose Clemson?” I always went with the answer that one of my friends had toured down here, and I fell in love with the place; but the truth is, when I toured Clemson, I saw an opportunity for a fresh start. An opportunity to make a difference and leave a legacy.
I trust that the decisions I have made, good and bad, will provide a stepping stone for the leaders after me to continue to add onto.