Clemson Players make whimsical return to stage

Ken Scar // Courtesy

Clemson University’s performing arts troupe, the Clemson Players, run through their final dress rehearsal of the musical “A Year with Frog and Toad” on the main stage of the Brooks Center for the Performing Arts.

The Clemson players made a whimsical return to stage with the opening of their spring musical “A Year With Frog and Toad.” Performances will occur Saturday, Feb. 25, at 6 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 26, at 3 p.m.
Although different from their productions of late, “A Year With Frog and Toad” has something for everyone, from style to humor. “I was drawn to the musical because I have a love of nature,” director Becky Becker said. “It’s whimsical and fun and magical.”
“A Year With Frog and Toad” was also chosen so that the Players could partner with the Brooks Center to perform for Tri-ART. Tri-ART is a Brooks Center program that puts on performances for local students ages 3-18. “We wanted Clemson Players to perform in the Brooks Center,” Becker said. “We really wanted to be able to partner with the university, and this was the way to do it.”
From the moment the theater lights dimmed, the cast was having fun. Their energy and connection to the audience truly brought the beloved characters to life against the backdrop of beautifully designed sets. It was clear everything was put together with care, and this attention to detail only enhanced the experience.
There was a charming nostalgia to all of the costumes, which were designed by Ivy Munnerlyn, a senior performing arts major. The playful colors and eccentric styles fit each of the characters and everything came together seamlessly.
The most important part of the play, according to Becker, is Frog and Toad’s friendship. “If there’s one thing I want the audience to take away from this performance it is the bond they have,” she said. “It may not be the nicest or the prettiest at times, but they always get through it.” Frog and Toad are played by Emy Gardner, a junior english major, and Skylar Hubbarth, a senior performing arts major, respectively.