Mitchell: We need to celebrate American history, not black history

Unseen Histories // Unsplash

View of the crowd from the Lincoln Memorial to the Washington Monument, during the March on Washington on Aug. 28, 1963.

February is Black History Month. A month where it is expected and assumed everyone celebrates black history.
There is no question on whether or not you are “excited” or are “looking forward” to it. If you do not celebrate what February has been designated as, it is assumed you do not value Black history and, ultimately, Black people. Black History Month is now an assumed holiday that lasts an entire month, and there seems to be no place for people who choose not to celebrate it.
The History Channel says for 2023 it will explore the current themes of “how African Americans have resisted historic and ongoing oppression, in all forms, especially the racial terrorism of lynching, racial pogroms and police killings.”Although these topics should be investigated, Black History Month validates hate and anger on those in the present because of those in the past.
Black History Month is a mechanism for marginalization and discrimination. It is a time that is dedicated to resurfacing former animosity, anger and hatred. 
By designating an entire month to a celebration of “Black History,” it devalues all history by quantifying history to a time limit and blinds us to the fact history is not some distant event, but that we get to decide and be a part of it. We cannot focus on one group for an entire month because it makes us comfortable with discriminating based on color.  We should focus on all of our history all year long. 
Black History Month may have good intentions but as a Black history student I see the disservice it does to everyone — Black people included. It may be a celebration, but it divides all of us.
Clemson University is a place that espouses unity, team morale and the Clemson family, but still pushes for the celebration of the marginalization that is Black History Month.
Black History Month attempts to combine culture, history and present perceptions to change the way we see ourselves — Black people and white people alike.
I am a history student and would love to discuss historical events, characters, moments, etc., but the first step in history is to understand all the factors that are in play; no events transpire in isolation. When you purposefully look at the world to only see one group you are inherently discriminating against everyone else.
There is a difference between remembering the past and repeating it; I hope we never cross that line.
As a resident assistant, I am mandated to attend an REM — residential experience model – event for Black History Month. As a resident assistant I have the joy of learning, living and growing with other students in a mentorship capacity. Through Tiger Talks we discuss values, goals, growth, etc. in life.
However, when I am required to engage in events that promote values and beliefs of division, anger and guilt to my peers, the values I hold and share are undermined because of my involvement. 
Black History Month celebrations affect our lives and how we see the world and each other. The interactions I have had are increasingly being based off of the color of my skin. I never share “my opinion;” it turns into myself speaking for “my group.” This undermines my freedom to have my individual beliefs. If I stepped outside of my group’s thoughts, I would be ostracized.
Black History Month propagates “Black appreciation,” but as Americans we do not achieve great things on our own. Students’ professors, classmates, advisors, etc. all work together to complete something better together. If we leave out people based on their group or skin color, we ignore some of the greatest moments.
We need to stop celebrating Black History Month and celebrate American history, Clemson history and our history. This month let’s celebrate what doesn’t divide, what does not parse out people based on their color and that does not silence and disenfranchise people; let’s celebrate our history. 
JeAnais Mitchell is a junior history major. JeAnais can be reached at [email protected].