Clemson qualifies for $6 million grant application

Wikimedia

Redfern Medical Center will be offering more telehealth services with MUSC in the coming weeks and months.

Clemson’s student population has grown enough for the University to become eligible for a federal grant to build a new state-of-the-art health facility.

George Clay, executive director of Student Health Services, announced at a recent Student Senate meeting that the University can now apply for a $6 million grant through the Health Resources and Services Administration.

The multimillion-dollar funding would be used to build a new health facility, a process which typically takes about three to five years, said Clay. Still, he is optimistic that a new facility is within sight.

With the steadily increasing undergraduate enrollment, a new health center could significantly enhance the quality of student care, said Clay.

Clay also shared that the new director of Counseling and Psychological Services, Birma Gainor, has made major improvements regarding the accessibility of mental health care for students. 

Mental health counseling is now available 24/7 by phone and virtually via appointment, in addition to the previously offered in-person counseling. 

The University’s recent partnership with MUSC in 2021 has increased student psychiatry appointments, which he considers successful.

Student Health Services is currently looking to fill a psychiatrist position and are in the process of adding a mental health nurse practitioner until they can do so. The psychiatrist position is currently open, as of Sunday.

Clay also provided a brief COVID-19 update, stating that although COVID-19 is still of concern, the number of cases is declining, with 27 cases in January and just two cases reported this month.

The University will continue to provide free saliva-based testing for students and employees at Redfern Health Center through the spring semester.