Clemson keeps campus growth sustainable

University Facilities // Provided

The University has strived to repurpose wood from trees torn down in the area.

As Clemson continues to grow in student population and infrastructure, developers are committed to keeping the expansion as sustainable as possible. 
Since 2018, the University has added a million square feet of infrastructure to its campus, according to Todd Barnette, the chief facilities officer for University Facilities. 

As the campus continues to expand, Clemson is committed to staying as sustainable as possible by reusing and repurposing trees that have fallen during recent renovations. 

“For the ones (trees) we’re taking out on Perimeter (Road) and the south camps stormwater, we’re going to save some of that wood and use it in the forestry building,” Barnette said. 
West of the administrative service building, contractors are replanting at least 50 trees and 55 shrubs. Additionally, following renovations, Clemson plans on adding more than 170 new trees to the campus. 

The University also intends to recycle wood from the fallen trees as new flooring, walls, benches and stairs in new and existing buildings. 

Clemson took similar measures when they reconstructed the Douthit Hills area of East Campus. 
“We reused some of the trees that were taken out on Douthit Hills when we did the business school in the wood features inside the building,” Barnette said. 
Students are encouraged to take part in Clemson’s sustainability efforts.

“On Feb. 17 from 8-3, we’re going to be planting on the corner of Newman and 93; you’re welcome to come plant,” Barnette said.  

Additionally, one of the larger capital improvement projects, the demolition of the student union and Johnston Hall, will be replaced with more green space in an effort to offset the environmental cost of Clemson’s infrastructural growth.

Other capital improvement projects currently in the works include the women’s sports program expansion, the Lehotsky Hall replacement, the Alumni Center building construction, the advanced materials innovation complex, the Bryan Mall high rise renovations and the Daniel Hall renovation and expansion. 
The women’s sports program expansion will add 40,000 square feet of athletic resources for Clemson’s new lacrosse and gymnastic programs, include approximately 285 parking spaces and is scheduled to be completed by February 2024.