Preview: Tigers look to continue winning ways against Boston College

Matt Mynes // Photo Editor

Clemson forward Chauncey Wiggins celebrates during the Tigers’ win over Duke in Littlejohn Coliseum on Jan. 14, 2023. 

The No. 20 Clemson Tigers (18-4, 10-1 ACC) will look to remain at the top of the ACC on Tuesday night as they take on the Boston College Eagles (10-12, 4-7 ACC) at Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts, on Tuesday night.

Clemson is looking for a less-stressful victory than it had in last week’s game against Florida State, when the Tigers, thanks to some late-game heroics by guard Chase Hunter, escaped with an 82-81 victory in Tallahassee, Florida. 

The first-place Tigers will look for their fourth-straight win, which could prove valuable to gain momentum ahead of a two-game stretch against Miami and North Carolina.

They are also no strangers to finding success on the road, as Clemson is 4-1 in ACC play when they’re playing away.

Awaiting the Tigers on Tuesday night is Boston College, who has had an up-and-down season this year. The Eagles have lost to a handful of competitive teams in the ACC this year, including Duke twice, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Miami and Virginia, which they lost to last Saturday. 

As for Clemson’s health, head coach Brad Brownell is certainly happy to have Hunter back, as the junior missed three games with a foot injury before scoring 26 points in last Saturday’s game against the Seminoles. 

“He’s really good,” Brownell said of Hunter. “He makes you look really good as a coach.”

The most notable injury for Clemson, however, is Brevin Galloway. A transfer from Boston College, the guard will miss his homecoming game due to a groin surgery last Thursday.

Another guard who will likely miss Tuesday’s game is senior guard Alex Hemenway, who continues to recover from plantar fasciitis and could miss his 11th-straight game for the Tigers. 

In the frontcourt, Hunter Tyson looks to have continued success from an incredible game against Florida State. The senior poured in 27 points and grabbed seven rebounds to tack on to his standout season. Forward/center PJ Hall also added 17 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in the win last Saturday, and is averaging 14.3 points per game in his junior season.

The Tigers could have their hands full on Tuesday, with a lot of star power on the Eagles’ side of the ball. First, forward/center Quinten Post is on an incredible stretch, averaging 23 points in the last four games. After missing the first 13 games with a foot injury, the transfer from Mississippi State scored 24 points out of Boston College’s 57 against Virginia in their last game. With a 7-foot frame, Post will be hard to stop on Tuesday. 

Boston College will also rely on senior Makai Ashton-Langford, who averages 12.9 points and 3.2 rebounds per game as a court general for the Eagles.

Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. EST, and the game will be broadcasted on the ACC Network.