Silver screen spotlight: Film Club

CLEMSON FILM CLUB // PROVIDED

Clemson Film Club members parade through Clemson.

The Clemson Film Club is a place where Clemson students can learn and participate in the process of filmmaking.

No experience is needed to join. In fact, members of the club come from all different majors. Katie McCarter, the club’s festival chair and a sophomore theatre major, was originally studying computer science when she first joined. 

“I had never thought about getting into filming short films or acting ever, but I went to that (first) meeting, and I fell in love,” McCarter said, “I met so many great people and had such a blast making our projects with everyone.”

Savannah Gambrell, president and a senior management major, describes the club’s atmosphere as “just a bunch of friends hanging out and doing something we all enjoy,” along with helping others find a love for filmmaking. 

The club often holds workshops with mentor board leaders that focus on the leader’s area of expertise in filmmaking such as acting, editing and screenwriting. “We teach everyone about every aspect of the filmmaking process,” McCarter said. 

What’s behind all the movie magic? Like any great film, it all begins with an idea. 

In a general meeting, the members brainstorm and bounce ideas off each other. The production team determines which ideas are feasible based on funding and locations available. The club then votes on their next project. 

Pre-production begins, which includes writing, read-throughs, editing, location scouting, prop/costume creation and casting roles. Then comes filming, editing and director approval. Finally, the film appears on the club’s YouTube channel @clemsonfilmclub493.

The club’s equipment, as of now, is usually provided by the club’s cinematographer members. Other times, film equipment is rented from the library. The club is currently in the process of buying equipment for member use only, which would allow for more cinematography workshops. Current equipment includes professional cameras, mics with a boom pole, multiple tripods, gimbals and camera mounts. 

The club held its first-ever Film Festival last March, where it premiered 16 student-made short films. This year, the club plans to hold its Film Festival on March 11. 

Any undergraduate student is welcome to make and submit an eight-minute or less film that will be screened with the possibility of winning an award. All film submissions for the festival are due on Feb. 16. More information can be found on the Film Club’s social media (Twitter, Instagram, TikTok) @clemsonfilmclub.

For anyone interested in joining, the club meets every Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Watt Center.