Tigers in the Major Leagues

MATT MYNES // PHOTO EDITOR
Former Clemson forward Hunter Tyson now plays for the reigning NBA National Champions, the Denver Nuggets.

Clemson has a history of producing outstanding athletes, with many currently playing in the majors. Although the Tigers are known for contributing to NFL rosters, there is no shortage of representation in other elite sports. Below are a few updates on some of the professional athletes who rose to the next level after leaving Clemson:

Spencer Strider, Pitcher | Atlanta Braves

Strider has made a tremendous impact with the Braves, as he has become one of the premier pitchers in the MLB. Strider has amassed 60 career games, with 47 starts and 28 wins to his name compared to only nine losses. At just 24 years old, Strider has 447 career strikeouts. He made his first all-star game in the 2023 season, just his third in the league.

Strider is also currently second place in odds in the race for the National League Cy Young Award, awarded annually to the best pitcher in the MLB. Thanks to his strong arm, he is widely regarded as one of the best young pitchers in the league and has helped lead the Braves to their current record of 90 wins and 45 losses for first in the league.

Hunter Tyson, Forward | Denver Nuggets

Tyson is entering his rookie season with the reigning NBA champions, the Denver Nuggets. The forward was one of the key members of Clemson’s 2022-2023 men’s basketball team, which set the school record for ACC wins in a season.

After being selected with the 37th overall pick in the NBA draft, Tyson had an impressive NBA summer league showing, earning a first-team All-Summer League spot. Tyson brings shooting depth to the Nuggets bench and is a reliable offensive addition for the team.

Hamady Diop, Defender | Charlotte FC

Diop helped lead Clemson to a 2021 men’s soccer national championship. Following his career with the Tigers, Diop was selected as the number one overall pick in the 2023 MLS draft.

The 21-year-old has played in three games for Charlotte FC for a total of 35 minutes but has been out with a groin injury for the last several weeks. Diop has been successful in his few appearances, with a 100% success rate in both tackles and aerial duels, and has recorded five clears. Diop has one win, one loss and one tie in his three appearances.

Lucas Glover | PGA Tour

Glover is currently the 30th-ranked golf player in the world, according to the Official World Golf Ranking. He currently has six tournament wins and 61 top-10 finishes in his career, which began in 2004.

Glover has also earned a major championship, winning the 2009 U.S. Open Championship over legends such as Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson. The 43-year-old from Greenville has not slowed down recently, as he is currently tied for 18th in the FedEx Cup after earning two tournament wins in the 2022-23 season in addition to five top-10 finishes.

View Comments (1)