TimeOutside: Twin Falls

Corey Glenn
Twin Falls is one of the best nearby waterfalls to visit as summer comes to a close.

With the last vestiges of summer finally starting to fade, a trip to a waterfall makes the perfect cap to the warm season. Twin Falls is one of the best nearby gravitational aquatic attractions.

Tucked away at the edge of the Jocassee Gorges off of Cleo Chapman Highway on a driveway known as Waterfalls Road, just 50 minutes from campus, this stunning feature is also known as Reedy Cove Falls, named for the creek that flows over the cascades.

An easy 10-minute trail leads from the main parking up the creek to a viewing platform of the falls, and the several holes along the creek are a popular swimming destination.

You can also walk up the rocks to the base of the left falls, but be careful. The gneiss rocks are extremely slick, especially when wet, and remain slippery from a major landslide earlier this year.

If you’re craving a longer adventure, you can always try the trail to the top of the falls. Leaving from a different parking area further up Cleo Chapman Highway, this trail, just over one mile, will take you on a slightly wilder route to the top of the several-hundred-foot cliff the water hurdles itself off of.