Clemson volleyball goes 3-0 at Tulane Invitational

Clemsons+volleyball+team+went+undefeated+this+past+weekend+at+the+Tulane+Invitational+in+New+Orleans%2C+LA.+Pictured+celebrating+a+kill+against+South+Alabama+in+September.+
Clemson’s volleyball team went undefeated this past weekend at the Tulane Invitational in New Orleans, LA. Pictured celebrating a kill against South Alabama in September.

The Clemson Volleyball team went 3-0 this past weekend at the Tulane Invitational in New Orleans, Louisiana.

The Tigers faced Houston Christian to start off the weekend, winning the match 3-1. Graduate middle blocker Adria Powell and sophomore Mia McGrath started off the game strong with a combined block, putting the Tigers up early in the first set. Towards the end of set one, the Huskies came within one point of the Tigers, but freshman outside Kennedy Wagner was able to put up a solo block, which propelled the Tigers to win 25-23.

Clemson lost set two 25-12, but with five blocks towards the end of the third set, they were able to win 25-20. Due to multiple service aces by freshman setter Audrey Armbruster and Wagner, the Tigers were able to take an early 6-1 lead in the fourth set. The Huskies closed the gap, but Clemson went on to take the fourth set 25-20, ending the match.

A strong performance by Wagner on day two helped the Tigers in the second match against Tulane. Clemson went on a 3-0 run in the first set, putting the Tigers up 9-5. Wagner ended the match with five aces and seven kills on the day. With 12 digs during the match, junior libero Devan Taylor reached 1,000 digs in her career. The Tigers went on to win 3-0 against the Green Wave before their final match against the University of Texas at El Paso.

Clemson started off the first set against UTEP with a combined block by junior outside Ayźah Dailey and Powell, but the Miners had multiple scoring runs, which allowed them to take the first set 25-14. While set two was a lot closer, the Tigers fell short with a score of 23-25. The odds may not have been on Clemson’s side, but with a 9-5 run from the Tigers at the end of the third, they were able to take the set 25-19. With the high energy carrying into the fourth set, Clemson won 25-13, which would send the match into a fifth set.

Clemson went on two major scoring runs early in the fifth set, which led them to quickly be up 10-5 against the Miners. With four kills towards the end of the match, redshirt freshman opposite Katie Hurta was able to end the match, which put the final score at 15-7. Hurta would go on to make the All-Tournament selection for the Tulane Invitational along with freshman middle Kate Simington.

The match against UTEP was the first reverse sweep seen by the Tigers under head coach Jackie Simpson Kirr.

The Tigers (9-4, 0-1 ACC) then fell to Georgia Tech at home on Wednesday in the team’s first in-conference match of the season.

Clemson will be back in Jervey Gym on Friday to face off against NC State at 7 p.m.