Hunter Tyson prepares for the rookie season after impressive preseason

Matt Mynes
Hunter Tyson attempts a shot against the Duke Blue Devils at Littlejohn Coliseum on January 14.

This week, former Clemson standout Hunter Tyson will begin his professional basketball career with the Denver Nuggets. The reigning NBA champions began their season on Tuesday against the Los Angeles Lakers, and although Tyson didn’t play in the opener, his contributions to the team in the summer and preseason were telling.

The 23-year-old erupted in his first exhibition games as an NBA player, shining in the summer league this past July. The forward led the Nuggets in points and rebounds per game, with 20.8 and six, respectively. Through these contributions, the former Tiger earned himself a spot on the First Team All-Summer League team.

Tyson solidified himself as a role player for Denver in the preseason as well, using his 3-point shot and his experience gained from five years at Littlejohn Coliseum to secure himself a spot in Denver’s rotation for this upcoming season. In the preseason, the former Tiger recorded 9.4 points, 4.4 rebounds and one steal per game.

His contributions with the squad through the first four preseason games gave Tyson a spot in Denver’s starting lineup for the team’s final preseason games, a surprise to many considering Tyson was a second-round pick. In that fifth preseason game, Tyson grabbed five rebounds and scored five points.

The former Tiger had a great season in the final year of his collegiate career, when he averaged 15.5 points and 9.5 rebounds, guiding him to an All-ACC First Team selection.

Clemson head basketball coach Brad Brownell spoke on Tyson a few weeks ago, describing his excitement for his former player.

“Just super excited for Hunter,” Brownell said. “He’s living the dream, and he will do whatever he can to help that team contribute.”