The Big Apple of the Carolinas: Jeter Mountain Farm

Jeter Mountain Farm // Courtesy
The first apple trees being planted in 2014.

It’s the prime time of autumn, and what better way to experience this season than surrounded by 400 acres of apple orchards, golden-red trees and cider-flavored everything?

Located in Hendersonville, North Carolina, is Jeter Mountain Farm, a family-owned and operated feat of farming that gives the ultimate fall vibes.

Upon arriving, visitors gain access to free parking and a lineup of different food venues to choose from. The grounds include the Hard Cider Taproom, Jeter Mountain Orchard Coffee House, the 1812 Smokehouse, a huge market and delicious apple cider donuts made on-site. The cider is also grown, picked and pressed directly from the apples on the farm with no additional sugar.

Visitors are able to participate in the u-pick orchards with over 20 varieties of apples, as well as berries, peaches, grapes, pumpkins and more. After grabbing a basket, the workers (usually adorned with cowboy hats) give guidelines to the u-pick adventure and facts about the different apples. Then, they take you on a ride through the beautiful grounds on a tractor-pulled trailer accessible to all.

The land was first acquired by the Hunsader family in 2005 and was previously used as an equestrian farm. With five generations of farming in their family, farmers Mike, Jared and Tyler Hunsader work throughout the year on the orchards. The first apple tree was planted in 2014, and when the orchard matured, the farm opened up for its first u-pick season in 2020. Ever since, the farm has been a place of community, harvesting not only apples and berries but also precious memories.

The last week of October is one of the last times to visit the farm before they begin nurturing the orchards and operating as a wedding venue in the off-season. It’s open Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The address is 1126 Jeter Mountain Road, Hendersonville, North Carolina, 28379, less than an hour and a half drive from Clemson.