Clemson club volleyball finding success on the court

Jazmin Brown // Provided
Clemson’s club volleyball team has been dominating their league this season.

Clemson’s club volleyball team is just getting started, and it’s eager to continue its success. The squad has dominated the club space this season, winning its first tournament and making it to the second round of Gold in the following competitions.

The team’s performance started with a tournament held at Fike Recreation Center on Sept. 30. The team, consisting of mostly freshmen, went undefeated in pool play against College of Charleston B, UNC Wilmington and Georgia Tech C.

After tearing through the early stages of the tournament, the Tigers beat Georgia Tech’s B team in the semifinals, sending them to the finals against rival South Carolina. Led by junior outside hitter Jordan Brown and sophomore libero Jack O’Neill, the squad defeated the Gamecocks in the finals to take home its first trophy of the season.

The Tigers excelled on their home court, as they did not lose a single set against their opponents and outscored them 253-186. The success of the team can be attributed to their veteran talent leadership mixing with young talent to set a sturdy foundation.
Players of note include Ryan Burke, a freshman setter who recorded six aces and 46 assists, and freshman outside hitter Nick Furnari, who leads all freshmen on the team with 22 kills, according to statistics tracked by the team.

The team then traveled to Duke for a tournament on Oct. 21, followed by a trip to Alabama on Oct. 28. In both tournaments, the Tigers went undefeated in pool play and made it to the second round of Gold in both events.

Freshman and right-side Anthony Bennett, who recorded two blocks and 17 kills in the season opener, spoke on the team’s chemistry.

“Their energy on the court and knowledge of the game has brought this team together so quickly, and we’ve meshed really well,” Bennett said.

The Clemson men’s club volleyball team continues to prepare and practice for next semester’s tournaments as well as Club Nationals late in the spring.

View Comments (1)