2023: The year of Halloween

Ashley Spears // Courtesy
Two Clemson students dress up as Zack and Cody from their Danimals commercial from 2009.

The tail end of every year is filled with the holiday spirit; however, it’s debatable what holiday reigns supreme. Some years, the vibe might be turkeys, pumpkins and leftovers, while others might feel wholly dedicated to twinkle lights, evergreens and candy canes. This year, however, Halloween has already laid its claim; this year is a Halloween year.

Both online and all around Clemson, people showed up and showed out with some of the most creative costumes to date. With the ever-growing influence of TikTok, costumes have gotten even more niche in the best way. Referencing internet memes (Paint Grandpa, Ronald McDonald), blockbuster movies (“White Chicks,” “Stepbrothers”) and iconic Clemson legends (Howard’s Rock, Dabo and his security).

These are just a few examples of many brilliant, funny or scarily accurate costumes this year. Popular costumes are changing from a firefighter to the Lorax, and this generation’s social media presence has allowed people all across the globe to share laughter and admiration of this year’s creative costumes.

This autumn has also produced a mass of spooky content, with the new “Five Nights at Freddy’s” film, based on the popular video game franchise of the same name.

Trick or treating has made a revival after years of communities being either quarantined or extra-cautious, and the city of Clemson participated with their Halloween Festival on College Avenue on Oct. 24, where students, locals and costumed kiddos collected candy downtown. Being on a Tuesday, Halloween had both students and teachers dressed up for the occasion in many classes on campus.

With the holiday being such a staple in college life, it was no surprise this year’s Halloween was a success. Now, as Clemson’s weather begins to dip low, all of the holiday festivities can truly begin. Still, spooky season will be a tough act to follow.