Godfrey scores career-high off the bench in opener

William Stehn
Clemson forward RJ Godfrey (10), pictured against Winthrop on Monday, is already off to a great start this season.

The Clemson men’s basketball team defeated the Winthrop Eagles 78-56 in the season opener on Monday, and one sophomore forward was a key piece off the bench.

In a game where the Tigers saw three of their starters score double digits, sophomore Godfrey helped lead the way off the bench, scoring 12 points and grabbing five rebounds in 18 minutes.

The 12 points marked a new career high for the 6-foot-8, 228-pound forward, who passed his previous high of 10 points, which he scored against Virginia Tech last season.

“He’s an energy giver as a person,” head coach Brad Brownell said of Godfrey. “He’s a player-person. Off the court, he’s unbelievable. He’s so fun, great smile, positive guy… He’s growing up as a player, and his energy he provides for us off the bench is tremendous.”

Playing behind Hunter Tyson last season, Godfrey averaged 3.2 points and 2.1 rebounds per game as a true freshman, appearing in 33 contests for the Tigers.

Moving forward, Godfrey will aim to continue to be a spark plug off the bench for Clemson, and an increased role in the rotation, as seen on Monday, could allow him to do just that.