Paws up, paws down: Clemson women’s hoops defeats Charleston Southern

Thomas Gilbert
Mackenzie Kramer was essential in solidifying the Tigers’ victory over Charleston Southern, as she poured in 20 points on Friday.

The Clemson Tigers took down the Charleston Southern Buccaneers by a score of 85-55 in Littlejohn Coliseum on Friday, with Clemson’s strong all-around performance allowing the Tigers to take control. Here are the ups and downs from the game:

Paws up: Early success

The Tigers went into the half up 45-24, and their early success gave them a nice cushion.

The Tigers went on an 18-3 run to close out the first quarter, which was led by senior guard Mackenzie Kramer. Kramer had 10 points in the final four minutes of the quarter and ended the first half with 13 points, shooting 5 of 9 from the field and making 3 of her 7 3-point attempts.

Clemson forward Amari Robinson also had a strong first-half showing with 14 points, shooting 7 of 9 from the field. Robinson had four total rebounds in the half, with three of them coming on the offensive side of the ball. Robinson’s first half also included a strong defensive showing with two steals.

Paws down: Turnovers

Although Clemson dominated most of the game, it struggled with turnovers. The Tigers gave over the ball 14 times, and although this was less than the Buccaneers’ 21 turnovers, the carelessness with the ball allowed Charleston Southern many scoring opportunities.

Charleston Southern was able to score 14 points from Clemson’s mistakes, meaning over a quarter of the Buccaneers’ points against the Tigers came off of turnovers.

Paws up: Mackenzie Kramer and Amari Robinson

Kramer and Robinson led the Tigers in scoring against the Buccaneers with 41 combined points. Robinson led the team with 21, while Kramer was just behind her with 20.

Robinson also led Clemson with nine rebounds, four of which were on the offensive side of the ball. Robinson was also able to distribute the ball well, as she had five assists for the Tigers, which was the second most on the team.

Kramer’s performance was highlighted by her 10-point first quarter. The senior guard shot 6 of 13 from the field in the game and was efficient from behind the 3-point line, shooting 4 of 9 from beyond the arc.