Clemson falls to South Carolina in consecutive rivalry matchups

Leah Marie Pereira
Clemson players watch their teammates from the bench during their game against Ole Miss on Oct. 14.

The Clemson club ice hockey team fell short to its in-state rival in two matchups over the last two weekends, 6-2 on Nov. 3 and 5-4 on Nov. 10. With the two losses, the Tigers have lost their sixth consecutive three-game series against the Gamecocks, referred to by both teams as the “Palmetto Cup.”

The first period had the qualities of a typical rivalry game, involving many big hits, penalties and intense play from both sides of the ice. But after the first period, the Gamecocks came out hot and scored the only two goals of the frame. The first score came off the stick of forward Carson Skove, and the second from defenseman Brendan Flaherty to put the Gamecocks up 2-0.

The Tigers responded in the second period, as forward Alex Wallace lit the lamp on a power play in the middle of the period, cutting the deficit to one. Skove scored his second of the night shortly after, but Clemson forward Cade Heinold answered right back with a goal in the final two minutes, ending the period with the Tigers having just a one-goal deficit.

Unfortunately for Clemson, the Gamecocks dominated the third period. South Carolina forward Dylan Greeley put the Gamecocks up 4-2 just 55 seconds into the period, and Skove secured his hat trick only five minutes later for a 5-2 lead. During the final minute, forward Enzo Fanelli scored South Carolina’s sixth goal on a breakaway to put the finishing touches on the win.

The loss loss snapped the Tigers’ two-game winning streak, which included Clemson’s first victory against a Division I opponent. The first game of that win streak was Clemson’s first game at its new rink — the Ice Station in Greer, South Carolina —and the Tigers looked to start off hot in their new home with another upset over Division I South Carolina.

The following weekend, Clemson traveled to Irmo, South Carolina, looking to tie the Palmetto Cup series at the Gamecocks’ home rink.

While both sides fought hard during the initial period, South Carolina struck first on the power play with 5:17 left.

But the Tigers came out swinging in the second, scoring three unanswered goals within eight minutes for a 3-1 lead. In what was arguably Clemson’s most complete period of the season, Heinold netted the first goal on the power play at the 6:20 mark, followed by forward Ronan Bryant at 12:03 and defenseman Christian Romeo at 13:47, who silenced the crowd with his power-play goal.

The Tigers’ lead didn’t last long, however, as the Gamecocks scored twice within the final 2:18 of the middle frame to tie the score at 3-3 entering the third period.

Clemson took a 4-3 lead with under six minutes left in the third, courtesy of forward Will Van Sicklin, but South Carolina quickly equalized. The game was tied at 4-4 at the end of regulation, making it the first Palmetto Cup contest that required overtime since Feb. 21, 2020, when the Gamecocks ended up defeating Clemson 7-6 with 1:33 left in the additional period.

This game featured a similar result. Just 30 seconds in, the Gamecocks pushed one over the line during a net-front scramble, narrowly defeating the Tigers 5-4.

Clemson will look to take home its first win over the Gamecocks since 2019 in Game 3 of this season’s Palmetto Cup series, which is set for Feb. 23, 2024. Until then, Clemson will play seven more regular season games, three of which will be at home.

This Friday, the Tigers will face off against Georgia Tech for the second time this season at 7 p.m. at the Ice Station in Greer, South Carolina.