Clemson’s wiffle ball club providing social opportunity for over 300 students

Wiffle Ball Club // Provided
Wiffle ball club is a great social activity on Clemson’s campus, providing an opportunity to get active and meet new people.

If you’re looking for an active way to get involved with an athletic community, Clemson’s wiffle ball club provides a great opportunity.

The coed club sport has over 300 active student members. With the large membership, the club hosts Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night leagues in order to accommodate about eight teams per league. Each week, the club announces power rankings by team, batting average and pitching stats.

Players can sign up as free agents to be placed on a squad or register with their friends as a team. Teams can then decide which night they play on, who plays what positions and a team name.

While the club does not have separate coed leagues, Brian Alibrandi, club president and senior electrical engineering major, said he wants to work on improving the number of coed teams.

Alibrandi has been a participant in wiffle ball since he arrived on campus freshman year. As president, he is responsible for planning each semester’s bracket in the five to eight weeks of regular season play. From there, teams participate in playoffs for a league champion before the three league winners play for the championship. Fall ball and spring ball each count as a separate season.

“Clemson wiffle ball has made me feel involved and connected to the Clemson community and has truly elevated my time here,” Alibrandi said.

Due to the large number of participants, the club is a great way for students to network and stay active. Junior DJ McKenna told The Tiger that wiffle ball has been an unexpected opportunity for his social life. McKenna joined his freshman year and has played each semester since. He most recently won the spring Sunday league championship with his group, The German Drinking Team, as the designated pitcher.

“It’s mildly competitive,” McKenna said. “It’s about having an hour of fun with your friends. There’s banter with the other teams, and I’ve been able to meet so many new people I wouldn’t have without the club.”

While the fall ball season is in full swing, interested members can register for club wiffle ball on TigerQuest. For more information and questions, you can message @cu_wiffleball on Instagram.