Tigers bounce back with dominant win over Longwood

Katie Bradham
Clemson guard Ruby Whitehorn goes up for a layup in the Tigers’ game against Longwood on Sunday, Nov. 19.

The Clemson women’s basketball team looked to get back on track after a rough loss versus in-state rival No. 1 South Carolina last week, and they accomplished just that. They faced the Longwood Lancers at home on Sunday, dominating them in a 102-63 win.

Clemson brought the intensity early as they jumped to a hot start, and with the help of eight straight points off the bench from guard Nya Valentine, the first quarter ended with the Tigers up 33-9.

Clemson continued its domination on both sides of the court heading into the half, as the Tigers’ defense caused the Lancers to turn the ball over 14 times and shoot only 23% from the field, scoring single digits in each quarter.

The Tigers, on the other hand, shot just under 60% from the field and out-rebounded the Lancers 27-12. These were the key differences that kept the Tigers in front. The Tigers’ strong defense and well-rounded offense held them to a comfortable lead of 58-18 at the half.

Clemson finished the game with a dominant 39-point victory over the Lancers, marking the first time the Tigers have achieved triple-digits since 2009. Dayshanette Harris led the Tigers in scoring with 20 points, and the team finished the game shooting an impressive 40% from the three-point line. Clemson showed its depth in this game, as 48 points off the bench was a big part of what solidified this win for the Tigers.

The Tigers look to run with this momentum and make a statement in Houston later this week on Friday, Nov. 24, to face the undefeated Mississippi State Bulldogs.