Club sport spotlight: Club wrestling

Drew Doscher // Provided
Clemson’s club wrestling team is open to anyone interested in practice or competition.

While Clemson may not have an official wrestling team, those interested can join the club program.

Operating as any other sport, wrestling hosts practice throughout the week in preparation to compete at the collegiate national championship each season.

Led by president Drew Doscher, wrestling meets four nights a week. On any given match week, wrestlers can be found hitting the training room daily. Club members are encouraged to attend full practices if they look to compete, but welcome wrestlers to practice as they please.

“Our club has grown over the last few years from about six kids competing and 15 kids practicing to about 25 kids competing and 50 or so kids cycling through our practices just to continue doing a sport they love,” Doscher said in an interview with The Tiger.

Coming from New Jersey, Doscher joined club wrestling three years ago and slowly rose up in rankings before he took on the role of president. While he initially saw it as a way to continue his training, he realized the social and leadership experience is worthwhile.

“Club wrestling has given me some of my closest friends throughout college,” Doscher said. “It’s allowed me to meet so many new people and has played a huge role in my college experience at Clemson. It’s definitely one of the reasons why I love this school so much.”

The competition season takes place mostly in the spring semester, with roughly six tournaments before the national tournament in Shreveport, Louisiana, in March 2024.

In past years, the team has had the opportunity to travel to various universities to compete, including Dallas and Puerto Rico, for nationals. In March, the program achieved its first freshman All-American and seven Academic All-Americans at the Division I nationals.

This Saturday, the club will host South Carolina at the Fike Recreation Center at 11:30 a.m. to kick off its season. For more information on how you can get involved in Clemson Club Wrestling, you can follow them on Instagram, @clemsonwrestling.