MOCKtails: Caffeine-free energy drink

Paige Ledford
Try this recipe for a caffeine-free treat!

New Year’s resolutions are being made, and trying to drink less coffee may be on your list.

Drinks with a lot of caffeine are a college student staple. Celsius drinks, iced coffee or a nice soda are delicious and can increase concentration and energy. However, some negatives of caffeine outweigh the benefits. Drinking too much or depending on caffeine can lead to insomnia, increased tolerance and anxiety.

Luckily, there are other ways to gain some energy. The following is a drink recipe designed for college students that is budget-friendly as well as easy to make!

Firstly, here are the ingredients you will need:

– A can of carbonated water (LaCroix, San Pellegrino, etc.)
– 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
– 1 teaspoon of lime juice
– 4-5 drops of liquid stevia
– Ice

To make the beverage, simply pour all ingredients over ice and stir.

The star of this mocktail is the apple cider vinegar. This type of vinegar is known to have many health benefits, such as improving heart health, balancing blood sugar levels and, most notably for our purposes, providing energy.

The acetic acid in organic ACV is believed to help prevent energy crashes, according to a Healthline article by Nadia-Elysse Harris.

The flavor of apple cider vinegar can take some getting used to, so I recommend starting off with half a tablespoon of ACV before leading to a full tablespoon.