New year new you: Attainable resolutions for college students

UNSPLASH // COURTESY
Small victories are the key to success, so make sure to focus on both big and small assignments.

It’s a new year, which means achieving new goals in 2024. When making resolutions for the new year, it can be easy to focus on the outcome rather than the journey itself. This leads to a lack of progress, as oftentimes, large goals take more self-discipline and time than we, as college students, have. Here are five common resolutions and ways you can make them attainable for your own life.

Getting in shape → Take more steps
As college students, finding the time and energy to make it to the gym every day between classes and commitments can be challenging. Instead of getting upset due to a lack of motivation to go to the gym, try including short walks into your daily routine. Even 30 minutes of walking a day can increase your physical health and emotional well-being. The town of Clemson offers some of the most beautiful views, perfect for an afternoon stroll by the lake.

Dieting → Eating at home
Instead of forcing yourself to stick to a strict diet, try making more meals at home. By eating out less, you can still have all your favorite foods while also saving money and using better-quality ingredients. Feeling healthier does not equal restricting yourself from what you are craving. By eating more consistently and limiting your Uber Eats dollars, you can have a healthy diet while also staying satisfied.

Getting perfect grades → Celebrate small victories
Academics are on the minds of most college students, but success does not have to be measured in letter grades. Instead of focusing on the big picture and causing yourself to become stressed, try focusing on small victories and keeping on top of assignments week by week. A 4.0 is a great goal to have, but it can lead to burnout if all you focus on is the letter grade. By celebrating small successes, you can save your stamina and finish out stronger.

Get a job → Apply to one
Another consistent stressor in many college student’s lives is securing a job or internship for the summer. With everyone at different places in their professional search, trying to keep up can feel overwhelming. Instead of stressing over the big picture, try to just get one application in. Even if it seems small, just one application can help you grow as a professional and make the subsequent ones feel less overwhelming.

Be more social → Express your interests
It’s important to step out of your comfort zone while also maintaining your boundaries, so when looking to be more social, find places where you can thrive. Being yourself in an environment where you don’t feel comfortable can feel more challenging, so find clubs or events that align with your interests and comfort levels. College is a great place for finding your people due to the wide range of social opportunities. By embracing your interests, you can find others with similar passions.