From the Editor’s Desk: Give thanks to students who work

Lucas Downs // Stock
Spill the Beans is a popular ice cream shop in downtown Clemson, located behind Study Hall.

Being a college student demands a lot from a person. It demands consistent thought, hard work, perseverance and, most importantly, it takes money and a lot of it.

I want to take this space to give thanks and acknowledgment to those students who work, sometimes multiple jobs, while they’re in school. Most of the baristas, waiters, store clerks, etc., are the kids I sit next to in class every morning.

Having to work a full-time job, maybe even two, while being a full-time college student is no small feat, but it is a reality for a lot of students in the face of rising tuition costs and the increase in the price of simply living.

Since 2004, out-of-state tuition and fees at public universities have risen by about 127%, according to US News, and it’s not just tuition prices that have been a rising cost for students.

According to a recent report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, food prices rose 2.9% between November 2022 and November 2023, and, at the same time, in 2022, prices rose 10.6% over a one-year period.

To deal with this reality, the increase in the cost of going to school and surviving, a lot of college students are forced to work on top of their scholarly responsibilities.

Recent estimates show that 43% of full-time students work while enrolled in college, which can hinder their graduation probability.

Compared to students who do not have to work in college, those students who work are about 20% less likely to graduate, according to a new American Educational Research Association study. And, for those who work and graduate, it takes an average of 0.6 semesters longer to finish, meaning not just more time but more money.

I know plenty of students who do work, but it hinders their opportunities outside of the classroom. For most students who work, being the class president, club sports captain or organizational leader is out of reach; there are simply not enough hours in the day.

So, remember to give thanks, leave your tips and remember that those workers you see every day are students, too.