‘I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else’: Calahan Keever reflects on golf career

Calahan Keever // Provided
Keever, who has lived in the Upstate his entire life, is eager to prove his talent in the spring season.

For Greenville native Calahan Keever, playing golf at Clemson was a lifelong dream come true. As he is set to embark on his final season, the senior looked back on his career in an interview with The Tiger.

Keever first got into golf after playing with his dad on vacations growing up. A long-time athlete, he accepted a scholarship at Anderson University and put in the work to move up to Division I. After starting for the Trojans for three years, Keever transferred to Clemson to finish his collegiate career in 2023.

“I worked hard, and it got me here,” he told The Tiger.

This spring, he wants to focus on his confidence while on the green. Keever took the fall as a learning opportunity, given it was his first semester at Clemson. Yet he’s most proud of his accuracy off the tee, which has proven itself in his two career hole-in-ones in the past two years.

“Golf is a little different because it’s so individualistic,” Keever said. “It’s up to you to decide if you want to go out and put in the work.”
After the Tigers were unable to make a top 5 finish in the fall, the men have, as Keever said, “been putting in the work in the off-season.” Keever also mentioned that the upbeat team environment is beneficial, as he and his fellow golfers get along well and enjoy uplifting one another on and off the course.

When ACC play begins in February, they’ll have the chance to prove their talent.

“I am interested to see how we start this spring and see where everyone’s game is at,” he added. “I am hoping that our competitive matches during practice are pushing everyone to get better.”

Once Keever wraps up his season in May, he plans to settle down in Greenville. With a wedding date set for the summer and a determination to turn pro, Keever knows his time as a golfer isn’t over.

“A lot of big and awesome things are happening this spring,” he said. “I am just going to wake up each morning and focus on getting a little bit better each day.”

As for Clemson, Keever is beyond thankful for the opportunity to become a Tiger.

“My year at Clemson has been really awesome. God made it clear that he wanted me here, and I am so thankful for my time as a Tiger,” he finished. “I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else!”