Clemson men’s golf takes first place in spring opener

Andrew+Swanson+tied+for+second+overall+in+the+tournament%2C+helping+Clemson+win+as+a+team.+
Andrew Swanson // Provided
Andrew Swanson tied for second overall in the tournament, helping Clemson win as a team.

Clemson’s men’s golf program earned its first win of the season at Briar’s Creek in John’s Island, South Carolina, on Monday and Tuesday.

Collectively, the team shot 575 (-1) for the two rounds in its spring season opener, though rainy weather ended Monday’s first round early. On Tuesday, the tournament concluded the round and played the second.

Andrew Swanson was the star of the show for the Tigers. Finishing tied second overall with a 141 (-3), the junior shot a 66 (-6) for his first round, thanks to his seven birdies made – five of which were consecutive.

Sophomore Thomas Higgins stayed close behind Swanson, finishing tied fourth with a score of 142 (-2) after going four under and two over in rounds one and two, respectively.

Kian Rose tied for 25th after a 147 (+3) finish. Jonathan Nielsen finished at T-35 after going five over despite a 71(-1) second round. Alberto Dominguez finished out the tournament with a 150 (+6) score to land at the T39 slot.

The Tigers beat out ACC opponents Boston College (T11) and Virginia Tech (14) as they slipped past second-place Chattanooga by just two shots. Tuesday’s win marks the first Clemson victory in a tournament since March of 2022.

Clemson will be back in action for the weekend of Feb. 19, when they will play in the Watersound Invitational in Panama City Beach, Florida, at the Shark’s Tooth Golf Club.