Wells, Tigers dominate on Senior Night

William Stehn
Redshirt senior Rebecca Wells’ spectacular all-around night was highlighted by her performance on beam, where she tied her career-high with a score of 9.950.

The Clemson gymnastics team displayed a dominant performance in its final home meet against Air Force on Friday, defeating the Falcons by a score of 197.600 to 194.650.

Clemson’s score was both a season-high and the team’s second-highest margin of victory of the year, with the highest coming in their first home meet against William & Mary in January.

Clemson’s victory was highlighted by redshirt senior Rebecca Wells’ performance, as she competed in each event for the Tigers, with three of her four scores counting. Wells was the top scorer in all-around competition during the meet, earning 39.500 on the night.

On top of being the high scorer in the all-around competition, Wells was also the top performer in two of the meet’s four events. Her best score came on the beam, where she tied her career-high of 9.950 for the Tigers.

Well’s other rotations consisted of a meet-high 9.900 on the vault, a 9.875 on the floor and a 9.775 on the bars, the latter of which did not count towards Clemson’s overall.

Head coach Amy Smith spoke about Wells’ growth throughout her time at Clemson.

“To watch her grow into the young woman that she is becoming, especially since her time here, the level of maturity and confidence and her taking a step up in her leadership, not just gymnastically but as a vocal leader, has been just one of the coolest things as a coach that I’ve experienced,” Smith said. “And the fact that we get to close out her career together, it’s very special.”

Wells’ teammates, Brie Clark and Kaitlin DeGuzman, spoke about Wells’ importance to the team.

“She is really a rock on this team,” Clark said. “She is very, very experienced and kind of helps us as a teammate but also as like a friend too. She is someone that we can always count on, and she is really like a rock for this team.”

DeGuzman spoke about the importance of Wells’ work ethic and her leadership for the team.

“She is a very big leader, like, not only to myself, especially with someone who has experience, but to the little kids too,” Deguzman said. “You go to practice, and you see her working hard regardless of her having a bad day or a good day. She comes in, and she tries to get her stuff done, even with a good attitude.”

Clemson will be back in action in Los Angeles when the Tigers will play Smith’s alma mater, No. 10 UCLA, for the team’s final meet of the season on Saturday, March 16, at 5 p.m.