Tigers fall to UCLA in final meet of the regular season

Team+1+rounded+out+its+inaugural+regular+season+against+the+No.+11+UCLA+Bruins%2C+falling+short+by+a+score+of+198.550+to+196.825.+
William Stehn
Team 1 rounded out its inaugural regular season against the No. 11 UCLA Bruins, falling short by a score of 198.550 to 196.825.

The Clemson gymnastics team traveled to Los Angeles to compete against the No. 11 UCLA Bruins on Saturday, falling by a score of 198.550 to 196.825.

Led by redshirt sophomore Molly Arnold with a score of 9.975, Clemson set a program record on vault with a team score of 49.450. Redshirt junior Eve Jackson had a 9.900, and redshirt senior Rebecca Wells followed with a score of 9.875.

The Tigers struggled on bars, with redshirt freshman Lilly Lippeatt putting up the highest score in the event, 9.875, and freshman Trinity Webb following close behind with a score of 9.825. Wells scored a season-low 9.400, and through two rotations, the Bruins led the Tigers 99.100-98.150.

Jackson continued her strong performance in front of her hometown crowd with a career-high of 9.925 on the floor. Lippeatt trailed behind, scoring 9.900, and Arnold earned 9.875. With one rotation left in the meet, the Tigers still trailed UCLA 148.775-147.525.

Clemson ended the day on beam, where Wells scored a 9.925. Kielyn McCright also scored 9.925, setting a new career high. Freshman Sierra Church and Lippeatt both earned scores of 9.875.

Ultimately, the Tigers fell to the Bruins to close the regular season. UCLA managed three perfect tens on bars, vault and floor, thus catapulting its score too far ahead for Clemson to catch up.

Clemson will travel to Greensboro, North Carolina, on Saturday, March 23, to compete in the ACC Championship, where they are seeded No. 2.