Clemson hopes to get back on track against Boston College

Rhylie Ladoucer
2023 Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Valerie Cagle throws a pitch to an NC State batter in Clemson’s win over the Wolfpack on March 2 at McWhorter Stadium.

The Clemson softball team is gearing up to host the Boston College Eagles this weekend in McWhorter Stadium in what should be a competitive ACC weekend series.

Last weekend, the then-No. 11 Tigers lost two games against Virginia, marking the first ACC series they did not win this year. In their matchup against the Eagles (21-9, 3-3 ACC), the Tigers are expected to utilize a similar rotation in the circle led by standout senior pitcher Regan Spencer. Spencer pitched seven innings against the Cavaliers last Saturday, giving up just four hits while in the circle.

Leading the charge for Clemson (22-9, 6-3 ACC) is ace Valerie Cagle, who is currently batting .385 with 35 hits and a team-high 28 RBIs. Cagle is not the only Tiger who has been making statements in the box, as outfielder McKenzie Clark has also contributed to the Tigers’ success this season with 32 hits and 27 runs.

As for Boston College, junior catcher/utility player Hannah Slike leads at the plate with a .370 batting average and a team-high 37 hits. Senior third baseman Nicole Giery sits close behind Slike, batting .316 and recording 31 hits thus far.

The Tigers are hitting .295 while holding opponents to a .232 batting average, leading to a 175-76 run differential heading into the weekend.

Boston College (21-9, 3-3 ACC) is coming off a convincing 5-2 win over Dartmouth, and it is eager to carry that energy into the series against Clemson. The team as a whole is batting .261 while holding their opponents to .187. However, they will not have an easy fight with the Tigers, who are hungry to get back on track with an ACC series win.

The Tigers and the Eagles will face off for game one on Thursday at McWhorter Stadium, with the first pitch scheduled for 5 p.m.