Keeping up with The Tiger

Mariah Jordon // Podcast Editor
Mariah, The Tiger’s Podcast Editor, is spending her summer interning with WSPA Channel 7 News in Greenville.

From Alabama to Greenville, The Tiger’s staffers have been busy this summer, using the knowledge they’ve gained at Clemson to further the development of their skills and careers.

Find out what several staffers have been doing in their various internships and hear from them about their experiences!

Caroline Block, Editor-in-Chief
The Tiger’s Editor-in-Chief has been working with EBSCO this summer as the Corporate Learning Editorial Intern for the EBSCOlearning team.

EBSCOlearning, a part of EBSCO Information Services, develops corporate learning, educational and career development services for businesses, universities and workforce development organizations.

Caroline’s team works specifically with Accel5, a corporate learning website, and her responsibilities include editing business book summaries, conducting a competitive analysis of other corporate learning products and auditing all of the existing content currently on the platform.

“Having been responsible for a large part of The Tiger’s editing process over the past two years, the skills I’ve picked up as Copy Chief and Editor-in-Chief have really helped me in my work at EBSCO. Without the training I received at The Tiger, I wouldn’t be anywhere near as successful in this position as I am!

“Working at EBSCO has given me the opportunity to explore another industry of editing besides journalism. I’m getting to work in publishing, an experience that will definitely add to my current training and prepare me for the world after graduation.”

Mercedes Dubberly, Associate Editor
Mercedes is spending her summer working as an assistant for Sydney Rose Portraits, a photography business based in Clemson. As her assistant, Mercedes works for Sydney Lykins and assists with portrait, wedding and elopement photography.

One key part of Mercedes’ position is creative directing photoshoots. In this capacity, her responsibilities are to pick the theme, decide how to organize and run the shoot and pose the model. Mercedes also engages with clients, works the lighting during Sydney’s photoshoots and works as a second photographer, capturing shots the principal photographer can’t get.

“Working with Sydney has been such an eye-opening experience and a great introduction to the world of photography. I love learning from her, and she is teaching me everything from photography editing basics to working on photoshoots to building a brand and getting clients.”

Mariah Jordon, Podcast Editor
Mariah is spending her summer interning with WSPA Channel 7 News in Greenville. WSPA is known for its news coverage of 30 counties, with stories ranging from sports, weather and small businesses and events happening in Greenville. The channel also spotlights people involved in business and entertainment.

In addition to working for WSPA, the TV channel is also helping Mariah create a reel for her resume that will allow her to demonstrate her skill set in broadcasting.

Mariah’s job includes scheduling and confirming the various talents that appear on the show, as well as working on set. Mariah is responsible for working lights and cameras behind the scenes and preparing the talent to appear on set and on camera. Another one of Mariah’s roles is to travel with the station to different events in South Carolina in order to be on hand to assist the anchors with anything they need.

“Being an intern at WSPA has truly been an unforgettable experience. I feel like I have learned so much about broadcasting. It has been a dream to be in front of the camera as a live anchor, but working here over the summer, I can truly see it becoming a reality.”

Anne Marie Lessig, Multimedia Personality
Anne Marie is interning with Next Round Live, a sports and entertainment show in Birmingham, Alabama, that covers Alabama and Auburn sports. With a live talk show from 9 a.m. to noon Monday through Friday, Next Round Live covers all sports until football season and focuses on the SEC.

Anne Marie’s role includes shadowing and learning from everyone who plays a part in creating Next Round. Whether it’s editing clips or brainstorming content for the shows, Anne Marie is able to get involved. Through this internship, she is learning how to cover sports using video and social media in new and better ways.

“So far, I have learned so much about the sports industry. It has been amazing to be around people who have a lot of knowledge in the industry and to take in all of the experience they have and apply it to my career!”

Josh Daniels, Communications Manager and Video Editor
Josh is spending his summer as an intern with Georgia-Pacific as a part of their JumpStart early career program. Through this internship, Josh has been able to develop his sales and marketing techniques and work alongside employees to address real problems.

Josh’s project involves analyzing recent changes to the pricing, packaging and promotion of Quilted Northern at Dollar General in order to determine the effectiveness of investments.

“My JumpStart internship at Georgia-Pacific has been a great experience so far. I’ve learned a lot about sales, marketing and the company’s business, and it’s been valuable getting hands-on experience through working on my own project. I’ve gotten to network with so many people in various positions and locations, and I really enjoy how GP’s company culture is rooted in Principle-Based Management.”

Nora Toland, Newsletter Editor

This summer, The Tiger’s Newsletter Editor is taking on the role of a marketing intern at Paddywagon Tours in Dublin, Ireland. Nora, who has spent the past semester studying abroad, has continued to travel the world, now with her internship, before she returns back to Clemson in August.

Nora works with a team to market the regular, small group and private tours offered by Paddywagon and its sister company. Some of Nora’s responsibilities include researching and collecting information from the market and other tour companies to develop new tour ideas and marketing strategies.

“So many of the skills I developed from The Tiger are helping me succeed in my position. I am adapting to different industries and the different requirements for each, like how I adapted to different sections of The Tiger for the newsletter and social media to highlight what was most important.

“I am learning about different industries and how to interact with them by being in Dublin, and I am excited to bring what I have learned back to The Tiger in the fall!”