Clemson Bound: Tips for transfer tigers

Clemson University // Courtesy
Clemson offers many activities for transfer students to get acclimated to the University. For example, lake days on Lake Hartwell, as seen pictured!

Congratulations on your acceptance to Clemson University! Transferring schools is such an exciting process, but it can also be overwhelming. From navigating a new campus to meeting potential friends, there’s a lot to think about. As a former transfer myself, I want to help ease your mind by sharing some advice to help you have a smooth transition to Tigertown.

Get Involved
This is something I’m sure you’ve heard many times, but it truly is that important. There are many ways to get involved on campus, from joining a club to attending one of the many events that happen throughout the year.

The best way to find on-campus clubs and events is through Clemson’s website, which was created just for this purpose, TigerQuest, or by attending the school’s organization fair, Tiger Prowl.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help
While your transition to Tigertown is undoubtedly exciting, there may be some bumps in the road. Don’t be afraid to reach out to other students; you’re likely not the first to face whatever issue you’re encountering.

Campus Resources
There are so many resources on campus to take advantage of, from transfer-specific programs to resources for general student life. The Transfer 2 Tiger Mentor Program is a great resource specific to transfer students. This peer-to-peer mentoring program allows new transfers to connect with upperclassmen transfer students.

If you’re struggling in a class, the Academic Success Center is a great resource that offers individualized support in the form of tutoring, as well as group learning at Peer Assisted Learning sessions for certain courses.

Become a social butterfly
The best way to make friends is to spread your wings and start talking to people. Socializing with the people in your classes is a great way to begin making friends on campus.

Go with the flow
Things may not always go as planned, and that’s okay. You may not get all the classes you want at the times you want them, or you may get stuck with a professor with less-than-ideal Rate My Professors reviews. No matter what the situation is, it usually isn’t as bad as it seems, so don’t get discouraged.

Stay informed
Staying in the loop at your new home away from home is easy with the many information outlets here at Clemson. I may be biased, but one of my favorite ways to stay informed here at Clemson is The Tiger. We offer both print and online viewing, so no matter how you prefer to view, there’s an option that’s perfect for you.

Explore your new stomping grounds
Clemson has a lot to offer. From campus life to the exciting downtown scene, there truly is something for everyone. Head to Tiger Town Tavern and try a pickletini, or if that’s not your style, check out ‘55 Exchange for delicious ice cream made by fellow students. You can even check out the South Carolina Botanical Gardens, take campus tours or get some new Clemson gear at one of the many stores downtown.

Try something new
Branching out can be a great way to broaden your horizons and maybe even make some new friends along the way. There are lots of unique opportunities for you to explore here at Clemson.

Uncover the hidden gems
Many things are covered in your tuition that I had no idea about when I first came here. One example is TigerFlix, Clemson’s own version of Netflix. Clemson Campus Recreation offers lots of fun activities, from going to the gym with your friends to kayaking or paddle boarding on Lake Hartwell. As a Clemson student, you also get free access to Adobe Creative Cloud and a subscription to The Wall Street Journal.

Have fun
You’ve probably heard many people say, “College will be the best years of your life,” so make that true. Time flies when you’re having fun, so take it all in and enjoy every second of your time at Clemson.

Welcome to the Clemson family, and go Tigers!