Campus Mountain Views

Corey Glenn // Asst. News Editor

View of Black Balsam and downtown from in front of Old Main.

As the weather starts to turn, and the humidity starts to wither, you might start seeing mountains in the background of various campus views. Here are a few spots on campus to find them:
1 — Old Main
               Standing in front of Old Main between the main entrance and the auditorium door, you might catch some mountains rising above College Avenue. This is one of my favorite views in all of Clemson, with the mountains rising above a wonderful view of downtown and Bowman Field.
2 — Fort Hill
               Standing across the street from Which Wich up on the hill, one can get a beautiful view of Rabun Bald, the second-highest mountain in Georgia and one of the most recognizable mountains in the area. Its characteristic dome shape rises above Fike, with the Shoeboxes and Death Valley on one side and Core on the other.
3 — Douthit Hills
               After the leaves fall, standing at the top of the hill between the business building and the first of the Douthit buildings, one gets a nice panorama of the mountains to the northwest. Views include Rabun Bald, the boxy Whiteside Mountain, whose white granite cliffs can be seen on especially clear days, and the sharp pinnacle of Terrapin Mountain.
4 — Driving Range
               Perhaps the most comprehensive view of the mountain range can be found standing at the top of the driving range at the Walker Golf Course. Views range all the way from Rabun Bald in the west to Mount Toxaway in the east. Be sure to walk out on the neighboring dike for awesome lake views.
These are the most easily spotted and appealing to the eye, but there are many, many others. Always be sure to take a look at the horizon on your walk around campus whenever you can.