Cobb’s Coffee Corner: Grace Coffee Co.

Returning to the heart of Downtown Clemson, we discover Grace Coffee Company. Founded in 2016, Grace Coffee initially ran out of a small vintage camper stationed in Blythewood, South Carolina. Eventually, owners Matt and Brooke Beyer brought their oldest daughter and senior parks, recreation and tourism management major at Clemson, Emma Grace Beyer, in as head operator. Her passion brought Grace Coffee to the basement of the old Entourage building. Grace Coffee offers a variety of smoothies, coffee and a place for students to socialize, study and enjoy a fresh cup of coffee.

The vibes of Grace Coffee are quaint and comfortable. Their front house offers several smaller tables alongside a large conference table, couches and a swinging sofa. In the back, they have a more secluded study space with various murals to help display the Clemson spirit. Variety is crucial to a coffee shop’s vibe, and Grace Coffee has it all, despite their smaller space. It’s not often I find myself sitting in Grace Coffee for the sake of it, but when I need somewhere to sit, read or meet up with friends, it’s a great option, especially for later hours. Their vibes in total get a 4 out of 5.

The food at Grace Coffee is probably their weakest point. Over the past year they’ve built a stock of small snacks and pastries, but they lack the variety and in-house quality that surrounding locations such as All In or Delish Sisters carry. They also don’t have an option to order food ahead on their app. It’s not much of an inconvenience since the food is pre-packaged, but that fact alone carries Grace Coffee under their competitors. Overall, the food gets a 2 out of 5.

Then, of course, comes the coffee. Grace Coffee delivers a plethora of choices, whether it be between flavoring, blended options or smoothie alternatives. Their seasonal drinks also typically work well, with my favorite being their raspberry white mocha they introduced this past Valentine’s Day. The coffee itself is alright. Sometimes the espresso tastes a bit burnt, and sometimes the flavorings don’t quite fit with the blend of coffee. Although that being said, I’ve yet to find a drink of theirs that I didn’t enjoy to some level. Their coffee earns a 3 out of 5.