Coffee Corner: Augusta Twenty

Despite+their+abhorrent+vibes%2C+Augusta+Twenty+still+provided+enjoyable+drinks+and+pastries.+
Katie Bradham // Video Editor
Despite their abhorrent vibes, Augusta Twenty still provided enjoyable drinks and pastries.

During our trek around Greenville, we found that a few cafes on our list were closed on Sundays. In our rerouting, we came across Augusta Twenty Market and Cafe, a small coffee shop situated in a clothing boutique. It was lower on our list to review, but our options were limited, so we thought there would be no harm in stopping by.

We were sadly mistaken.

Out of the gate, I will tell you that their food and coffee scored 3 out of 5. The vanilla latte and lemon scone we ordered were perfectly fine, and they’re only really held back by their lack of options.

The vibes of Augusta Twenty, however, are a different story. At first glance, half of the store is dedicated to their cafe, while the other half is dedicated to the boutique. This is not a fashion column, so I will restrain myself and simply state that their clothing resembled a discount rack at Zara with an extra zero on the price tag.

The cafe side appears interesting enough, with subtle Art Deco architecture throughout. But once you order your drink — and gag at the price — you’ll look around for seats and find yourself with few options and even fewer good ones. In reality, most of the space is dedicated to shelving weird knickknacks and a counter where you can buy them for an absurd price.

Actual seats exist just on the back and front end of the store, next to large, unshaded windows that will blind you most hours of the day, surrounding these small, marble tables that are about as stable as my mental state. The only good seating is a recessed booth across from the counter, but the competition this creates makes its existence almost worse. The moment the booth opened up, three different customers immediately rose and raced to claim it for themselves.

Needless to say, Augusta Twenty Market and Cafe does everything to avoid the relaxing atmosphere we flock to coffee shops for. I wouldn’t recommend anyone make the mistake of buying coffee here. There are better drinks within a mile’s walk, and standing inside for too long could wreak havoc on one’s serenity. The vibes are 0 out of 5.

Cobb’s Coffee Corner is the subjective opinion of Multimedia Personality Griffin Cobb. Rankings are based on three categories: vibes, food and coffee. Griffin has rated all Clemson-based coffee shops and is currently reviewing cafes in the surrounding towns.