Holiday happenings: Your tidings to-do list

Clemson and its surrounding cities are gearing up for the holiday season with lots of fun things to do this December.  

The City of Clemson’s 29th Annual Christmas Parade will be held on Dec. 6 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on College Avenue. Parade festivities begin an hour before the actual parade march at 6 p.m. Santa Claus will be in attendance, along with other Christmas characters and Clemson groups. The theme of this year’s parade is Candy Cane Lane.

Clemson University’s World Cinema department is hosting a screening of “It’s a Wonderful Life” in McKissick Theater in Hendrix Student Center at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 7. The 35-millimeter print, which was secured by world cinema students through Paramount, will not only serve the holiday spirit, but also continue the ongoing movement of bringing film history to campus.

The Pendleton Christmas Market runs from Nov. 25 through Dec. 10 every Friday and Saturday from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on the Village Green. The market, known as Christkindlmarkt, offers local treats, festive gifts and more and takes inspiration from European Christmas markets. More information can be found on their website pendletonchristmas.com

Christmas on the Green is a holiday farmer’s market on Dec. 2 from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Patrick Square Village Green. At the event, there will be live music, balloon art, caricatures, food samples and over 45 vendors selling holiday-themed items.

Holiday shopping, Santa pictures and free movies will commence at the Pickens County Performing Arts Center on Dec. 3 from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Free pictures with Santa will be from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. The RSVP can be found on pickenstheather.com. The City of Liberty Christmas parade and tree lighting will also take place at the event beginning at 6 p.m. 

The Upstate Holiday Light show is open from Thanksgiving through Dec. 31 at the Greenville-Pickens Speedway. The colorful drive-thru light show flashes along to holiday music and lasts 30 minutes. There will also be a petting zoo, carnival-themed rides and food available at the venue,

The Ed Harrison Memorial Celtic Christmas is Dec. 17 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Hagood Mill Historic Site. Performer and composer Jamie Laval will headline the musical lineup. The unique cultural event will have living history demonstrators and holiday grits from the mill itself. There will also be an artisan market to browse through while Celtic Christmas music plays in the background. 
The tenThing Brass Ensemble Performance will be Dec. 9 at 7:30 p.m. as a part of the Delores St. Clair Wright Christmas Show at the Brooks Center. The holiday-themed program will include musical traditions from different parts of Europe, along with holiday and Disney tunes. 
The “Trotting ‘Round the Tree” horse show will be Dec. 2-3 at 9 a.m. at the T. Ed Garrison Livestock Arena. There will be the open English, Western, Hunter Jumper and Dressage show, put on by Clemson Horsemen’s Association.
Holiday Yoga will be Dec. 3 at 11 a.m. in the Carillon Gardens. Participants are encouraged to dress up in a holiday sweater or outfit to be entered into a costume contest for a prize.