Clemson takes down Campbell for another win

Aralynn Minnick // Asst. Photo Editor

Hanna Hilcoff ready to make a move against Gardner Webb on Feb. 22.

The Clemson lacrosse team came out with an 18-7 win at Historic Riggs Field on Wednesday. 

Although Clemson (6-2, 0-2 ACC) finished with what would appear to be an easy win, Campbell kept the score competitive, and it wasn’t until the third quarter that Clemson would take a big lead.

Clemson looked disorganized at the beginning, and for the majority of the first quarter, Campbell was up in goals. But the Tigers ended up bringing the game to 3-3 right before the quarter ended.

Throughout the second quarter, it was a back-and-forth game until Jalyn Jimerson scored with 6:54 on the clock to give the Tigers a 5-4 lead. Shortly after Jimerson’s goal, the Tigers’ momentum ramped up, and Hanna Hilcoff gave the team a two-point lead with 5:48 left in the second quarter.

At half, Clemson was up 7-4 and seemed to be getting back some confidence that was lacking earlier in the game.

The Tigers created a larger score gap during the third quarter, where they made eight goals and Campbell made two, bringing the score to 15-6. From there, Clemson made a Campell comeback insurmountable and came away with the victory. 

Three Clemson players came out with a hat trick by the end of the game. Together, Marina Miller, Jimerson and Hilcoff combined for 10 goals.

The Tigers struggled with fouling the Camels throughout the game, ending the game with 39 fouls compared to Campbell’s 22. The Tigers forced 21 turnovers and won the draw 17 out of 28 times.

Up next, Clemson will face No. 13 Duke at Riggs Field on Saturday at 12 p.m. EST.