Softball sweeps Syracuse in first ACC series of season

Ashleigh Snyder // Contributor

Clemson softball infielder Alia Logoleo fields a groundball against Syracuse at McWhorter Stadium on March 5, 2023. 

Clemson softball defeated Syracuse 1-0 in another shutout at McWhorter Stadium on Sunday, sweeping its first ACC matchup of the season. 

The win came after Saturday’s doubleheader, where D1 Softball’s No. 7 ranked Clemson team (20-1, 3-0 ACC) won 4-1 and 8-0 in games one and two, respectively. The Tigers used their momentum on Sunday to block the Orange (6-9, 0-3 ACC) from scoring yet again in their series finale.

“A sweep of an ACC opponent is never easy, and obviously, we got that today, so I’m really proud of our team,” head coach John Rittman said.

After four actionless innings, designated player Arielle Oda finally crossed home for the Tigers on an RBI groundout from infielder Reedy Davenport. Despite the win, it was a lackluster day on offense for Clemson, as it ended with one lone run and only four combined hits. 

“We certainly didn’t have the offensive production that we’ve had previously in the season, but good teams find different ways to win games, and I think today was a classic example of that,” Rittman added.

Yet the Tigers were able to bring strong defensive skills to counteract those of Syracuse, resulting in the six scoreless innings from both teams. 

Right-handed pitcher Brooke McCubbin started in the circle for the Tigers. McCubbin kept the Orange scoreless to take the win with three strikeouts through her four innings pitched and was then relieved by junior Reagan Spencer for just one inning. 

Valerie Cagle entered the circle in the sixth after starting at first base. Closing out the game, Cagle and Spencer allowed just one hit each in their time in the circle. 

“Although we didn’t have the offensive part of our game clicking today, we still had the pitching, defense and timely hitting. That’s what wins championships,” Rittman said. 

Perfect in ACC play, Rittman and his team are optimistic for future conference matchups but understand plenty of work is left to be done with their Clemson Classic tournament coming up next weekend. 

“It’s an opportunity for us to work on some things, get some players in games and hopefully improve.”