Seminoles sweep the Tigers in doubleheader at McWhorter

Ashleigh Snyder // Contributor

Clemson shortstop Alia Logoleo takes an at-bat against Syracuse on March 5 at McWhorter Stadium. 

The No. 4 Clemson Tigers (37-3, 12-2 ACC) received their second and third losses of the season at the hands of the No. 6 Florida State Seminoles (31-7, 10-1 ACC). The Tigers struggled to find a way to score effectively against Florida State, which resulted in Clemson losing both games to the Seminoles. Florida State outscored the Tigers 11-1 in this doubleheader.
Due to forecasted inclement weather, the games originally scheduled for Thursday and Friday were changed to a doubleheader on Thursday. The top-10 matchup kicked off at 3 p.m. EDT on April 6, with the second game starting at 6 p.m.
Game one saw the Tigers’ first shutout loss of the season by a score of 7-0, and Clemson’s defensive struggles were evident. Clemson would have three defensive errors, while Florida State only had one.
Clemson also left six batters on base in the first game, as the Tigers could not capitalize on offensive opportunities. The Seminoles had strong innings in the fifth and the sixth, scoring three and four runs, respectively, which proved to be the downfall of the Clemson team following four scoreless periods on both sides.
During the second game, the first inning was especially quiet for both teams, as no players could get on base. Florida State managed to get a runner on in the second inning but could not score.
Clemson would also get their first runner on base in the second when infielder Alia Logoleo was hit by a pitch. Soon after, catcher Aby Vieira got on first due to a fielder’s choice that got Logoleo out at second. Florida State’s pitcher then hit another Tiger at-bat, sending junior Arielle Oda to first. The Tigers were unable to capitalize with a player on first and second, as outfielder Ally Miklesh struck out to end the second inning.
After the second inning, no players from either team got on base until Clemson ace Valerie Cagle in the bottom of the fourth. Cagle would get the game’s first hit for the Tigers with a single, sending outfielder Julia Bomhardt in to pinch run and successfully steal second base. However, the Tigers could not get any runs, and the game would remain scoreless through the first four innings.
Florida State opened the fifth by getting a player on first due to an error by the Tigers. The Seminoles did not stop here, scoring three runs in the fifth with zero outs on the board. Clemson shut down the Seminoles’ scoring run and headed into the bottom of the fifth down by three.
Now in the top of the fifth, Oda ground out, followed by a single for both Miklesh and infielder Reedy Davenport. This put players on first and second for Clemson with only one out; however, the next two batters were unable to get on base, and the Tigers were down three entering the sixth.
The Seminoles continued their dominance with four runs in the sixth. The seventh inning was quiet on the scoreboard as the game ended in a Tigers’ 7-0 loss.
Game two saw the Tigers fall to the Seminoles by a smaller margin of 4-1.
Florida State started the game off quickly with a bunt to earn a single, but the Tigers’ defense shut them down quickly and retired the Seminoles. The Clemson team got on base early with a McKenzie Clark hit but could not score in the opening inning.
The Seminoles scored in the top of the third inning off of an RBI, putting them up 1-0. The Tigers’ defense was clearly shaken, as they allowed Florida State to score two more runs in the top of the fourth to put the Seminoles up 3-0.
In the bottom of the fourth inning, Cagle responded with a solo home run, her 14th of the season, to place the Tigers within two runs.
Florida State hit a home run of their own in the sixth to solidify a 4-1 Seminoles victory.
Clemson will be back in action against Florida State for the third and final game of the series on Friday, April 7, at 7 p.m. EDT in McWhorter Stadium.