Viral in the Valley: The Eras Tour summer

Lindsay Kaine // Senior Reporter
From left to right, Taylor Swift at her Reputation tour in 2018 photographed by Alexander Tamargo for IMDb; Caitlin Filler, freshman business major, at the Era’s Tour in Tampa on April 15th; Taylor Swift performing at the Iheart music awards from USA TODAY; junior marketing major Jackie Cortez trying on her outfit for the Era’s Tour Atlanta on April 29.

It’s been a long time coming, but superstar Taylor Swift is finally back on the stage, and thousands of people from all over the country are attending The Eras Tour. 

Swift’s first tour in five years has garnered massive media attention and proves that almost two decades into her career, Swift can still break records. The Eras Tour could make Taylor Swift between $500 million and $1.5 billion, according to Forbes. Her comeback tour has the possibility of becoming the highest-grossing tour of all time, beating out Ed Sheeran, who currently holds the position with $780 million in tour revenue.

Much of the tour’s attention is due to it celebrating all 12 of Swift’s past albums, or “eras,” as the tour’s name refers. Many students at Clemson grew up listening to Swift’s music and have watched her grow up alongside them. 

“In every stage of my life, I’ve been able to relate to Taylor’s music,” Bekah Venezia, a freshman secondary education student attending one of the Atlanta shows, said. “Her music has helped me in everything I’ve been through.” 

At Clemson, many are getting ready for the Atlanta and Nashville, Tennessee, shows coming up the next two weekends, while others anticipate their shows back in their hometown. As the dates get closer and closer, it’s time to plan the perfect outfit. 

Social media applications such as TikTok have inspired Swift’s fans to dress to impress. A large number of concert attendees have used Swift’s past outfits and albums as inspiration, personalizing them to their own tastes. 

“My outfit is completely pink, which is inspired by Taylor’s ‘Lover’ album,” Rebecca Pitt, a freshman mathematics teaching student, said. “My favorite color is pink as well which makes me love the outfit even more.” 

Some have also drawn on personal memories when creating their outfits. Reilly Magee, a junior business marketing major, is attending a show in Philadelphia in May. Magee is wearing a blue butterfly sundress that represents the butterfly motifs seen on the cover of Swift’s debut album.

“I loved the idea of putting together a unique yet simple outfit from when I was first introduced to Taylor’s music. I wanted to draw inspiration from the album design rather than an outfit she wore to represent the start of her music career,” Magee said.

The internet has been the primary form of inspiration for Eras Tour outfits. The TikTok hashtag “#erastouroutfitinspo” has garnered over 8.7 million views in the past few months, with videos under it getting up to hundreds of thousands of likes.

Jackie Cortez, a junior marketing major, is attending two shows in Atlanta on April 28 and 29. Because she had to make two outfits, she wanted to be more casual for her second show. 

“I went with the costume “Era Tour #13″ Jersey. I saw someone else do something similar on Tik Tok and used it as inspo,” Cortez said. 

Caitlyn Filler is a freshman business major who attended Swift’s Tampa show on April 15 and looked to popular online shopping brands to find her perfect outfit. 

“I decided to go with ‘Reputation’ as the era I represented,” Filler said. “I looked for inspiration all over Tik Tok and Pinterest. Ultimately I decided to look on Amazon and I found this really pretty black sheer dress that fit my version of ‘Reputation’ perfectly.”

Whether you have been a fan since 2006 or are just now getting into her music, it is time to put on your best dress and dance fearlessly with Swift this summer.