Clemson’s top 10 sports moments of the year

Aralynn Minnick // Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson pitcher Valerie Cagle on the mound against South Carolina in March.

Clemson University has a rich history of strong athletic performances, and the 2022-2023 school year did not disappoint. Here are a few of the best Clemson athletic moments from this year, in no particular order:

1. Cagle is perfect

Valerie Cagle, Clemson softball’s star pitcher and utility player, threw the first-ever perfect game in Clemson softball history in a shutout win against Mercer on March 8. Cagle tallied eight strikeouts in the game, which went for just five innings. 

A finalist for the USA Softball Player of the Year, Cagle also tallied two hits, one RBI, walked twice and scored two runs in the game to cap off an unforgettable performance. 

2. Wiggins takes it for six

Clemson defensive back Nate Wiggins scored a historic 98-yard pick-six against North Carolina in the ACC Championship game to put the Tigers up 30-10.

This play was the longest in ACC Championship game history, and the Tigers went on to win 39-10 and reclaim the top spot in the conference.

3. Women’s golf wins the ACC

The Clemson women’s golf team won its first ACC title in the program’s decade-long history by defeating Virginia 3-1-1 on April 16. 

Melena Barrientos, Chloe Holder and Isabella Rawl earned Clemson’s three wins to clinch the title.

4. Women’s lacrosse upsets Duke

Clemson’s inaugural women’s lacrosse season saw the Tigers upset No. 13 Duke for their first ranked win in program history. 

Freshman Sofia Chepenik’s four-goal performance led the Tigers to the team’s historic win against the Blue Devils at Historic Riggs Field. 

5. Clemson track wins multiple ACC championships 

The Clemson men’s track team added four ACC champions as the women’s team added three of its own at the conference championships in February.

The men’s team won the 4×400-meter relay, 400-meter run, 800-meter run and 60-meter hurdles. The women’s team won the 60-meter dash, 200-meter dash and 60-meter hurdles. The men’s and women’s teams both finished third overall at the championships. 

Wanya McCoy’s impressive performance at the championships earned him the ACC men’s track MVP thanks to his first-place 400-meter run and 4×400-meter relay. He also earned fifth place in the 200-meter dash. 

6. Clemson men’s basketball sets school record for ACC wins

The Clemson men’s basketball team set a school record in ACC wins with a conference record of 14-6 and an overall record of 23-11. The Tigers finished third in the ACC and earned a No. 1 seed in the NIT tournament. 

The Tigers’ historic season was led by forward Hunter Tyson, who was awarded first-team All-ACC honors, and center PJ Hall, who was third-team All-ACC. 

7. Clemson club hockey pulls off tournament upsets

The Clemson club ice hockey team was ranked No. 31 going into the AAU Hockey National Tournament, but the low seeding didn’t stop the team from making noise in the tournament as Clemson went on to pull off two upsets. 

The first upset came over No. 15 Penn State Harrisburg by a score of 2-1, followed by a dominant 7-2 win against No. 23 Fredonia State.

8. Clemson men’s basketball defeats Duke

Head coach Brad Brownell and the Tigers defeated Duke 72-64 in Littlejohn Coliseum in January. This eight-point victory marked Clemson’s first win over Duke since the 2019-2020 season, leading to the Clemson fans storming the court after the final buzzer. 

Clemson was led by Hall and Brevin Galloway, who combined for 43 of Clemson’s 72 points in the game. 

9. Shipley hurdles for a touchdown 

Clemson’s star running back Will Shipley hurdled a defender and broke two tackles on his way into the end zone for a 25-yard touchdown against the Louisville Cardinals in a 31-16 Clemson win back in November. The highlight play came at the 10:22 mark in the third quarter and caused a roar from the fans in Death Valley. 

This score was an unforgettable touchdown for the Tigers and was one of the best highlights of the season.

10. Clemson hires Riley

Clemson hired Garrett Riley to take over the offensive coordinator position and usher in a new era of Clemson football. The Tigers’ hiring of Riley has excited many fans for the program’s future, as he will introduce a new scheme to a Clemson team that has been lacking the offensive firepower that many fans have come to know in recent years. 

Riley helped lead TCU to a two-loss season and a national championship appearance in 2022 and is the younger brother of legendary University of Southern California head coach Lincoln Riley.