McCubbin, Clemson softball defeat Paladins at McWhorter

Aralynn Minnick, Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson pitcher Regan Spencer takes the mound against Northwestern on Feb. 17, 2023 at McWhorter Stadium.

The No. 4 Clemson Tigers (37-1, 12-0 ACC) defeated the Furman Paladins (12-22, 4-2 SoCon) Wednesday night by a score of 4-1 in McWhorter Stadium. The victory was propelled by an incredible pitching performance by Clemson’s Brooke McCubbin.
McCubbin would maintain a no-hitter through the game’s first six innings, allowing her first hit with two outs in the seventh.
The Tigers started strong with two singles from McKenzie Clark and Maddie Moore. ACC pitcher of the week Valerie Cagle followed up the back-to-back singles with a double that sent Clark and Moore across the plate, giving Clemson a 2-0 lead at the end of the first.
Nobody would be able to get on base for either team until the bottom of the third when Clark walked to first. Moore followed with a double that drove Clark home for another Clemson run. Cagle stepped back up to the plate to hit a single for Clemson’s fourth and final run and Cagle’s third RBI of the game.
The Tigers went to the bullpen in the seventh, replacing McCubbin after allowing her lone hit. Righty Regan Spencer relieved her, although the junior would hit the first batter and throw two wild pitches to allow a Paladin run.
Spencer walked the second hitter she faced and got the next hitter to groundout on first to secure a 4-1 Clemson win.
This win added a tally to the Tigers’ 23-game win streak and furthered their momentum as they head into a top-10 matchup with a doubleheader against No. 6 Florida State. The team will take to the field on Thursday, April 6, at 3:00 and 6:00 p.m. EDT at McWhorter Stadium.