Book talk: Summer reading recommendations

Goodreads // Courtesy

For the bookworms out there, summer can be a chance to finally sit down and read what you want rather than what you’ve been assigned. Or, if you’ve never been a bibliophile, summer can be a great opportunity to fall in love with a novel. As the summer begins to hit campus hard, it is only right to find a great book to accompany them. Here you will find book recommendations for every type of reader. 

First up: the rom-com readers. Nothing beats an upbeat plot with a cute neon cover, and this spring brings one of the most anticipated books of the season: “Happy Place” by Emily Henry. The book was released on April 25. In short, the story follows a couple who has broken up but must put up a facade that they are still together on vacation with their best friends. Henry is known for romcoms such as “Beach Read” and “Book Lovers,” so this next novel is sure to be a splash.

For those who prefer a bit of escapism, fantasy novels can be a great read. Sarah J. Maas’ “A Court of Thorns and Roses” has grown in popularity on TikTok and for good reason. The romantic, adventurous story is a classic Beauty and the Beast tale with its own twists and turns. The story follows a young huntress as she is thrown into the world of the immortal faeries that used to rule her people. 

If you’re a history buff, look no further. “All the Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr is a historical fiction book that follows the lives of a blind French girl and an intelligent German boy as they navigate through the terror of World War II. The story combines excellent prose with hard-hitting action as the two characters head on a path to each other, unbeknownst to them. 

If you’re planning on reviving New Year’s resolutions this summer, turn the pages of “Atomic Habits” by James Clear. This nonfiction personal development book will teach you how to make time for new habits, break the bad ones and set yourself up for success. 

For the old souls out there: if you love the classics, try “A Room with a View” by E. M. Forester. Written in 1908, the European comedy follows a young woman through the throes of love and the streets of Florence, Italy. 

For a reading that will leave you second-guessing and suspicious, check out the psychological thriller “The Silent Patient” by Alex Michaelides. Uncover the mystery behind why a famous painter with a seemingly perfect life kills her husband as you turn the pages. 

Books can educate, entertain and encapture you. The most difficult part is choosing which one to pick up. With these reads, your summer reading schedule could feel a bit more exciting!