Kwolek ‘really proud’ after dominant first win over Wofford

Aralynn Minnick // Asst. Photo Editor

Clemson attacker Hanna Hilcoff (26) jumps after scoring a goal against Wofford.

The Clemson women’s lacrosse team faced the Wofford Terriers at Historic Riggs Field for the first game of its inaugural season and came away with a dominant 23-1 victory. 

Clemson held onto possession of the ball for the majority of the game. It was not until the beginning of the second quarter that Wofford came out with a draw control along with its only goal.

As soon as the Tigers took to the field, they found their tempo, and by halftime, the score was 14-1. Clemson scored nine goals in the first quarter, five in the second, two in the third and seven in the fourth.

“They flowed pretty well together, and that is something pretty special considering (at the most) they have played with one other person on the team,” said head coach Allison Kwolek. 

Attacker Gianna New was a key player throughout the game. The graduate transfer scored five goals and earned the program’s first-ever hat trick. Another standout player was attacker Hanna Hilcoff, who will go down in history for scoring the program’s first goal, and five total in the game. 

“I am really proud, it looks like they have played together year after year, and no, it is a whole new group of women out here,” said Kwolek.

The Terriers struggled to keep up throughout the game after the Tigers took to the field looking like an experienced, well-established team. Ultimately, it was the aggressive defense, draw control domination and explosive scoring that led to the standout Clemson win.

The Tigers took 33 shots on goal, whereas the defense held the Terriers to eight. Wofford also went 0-5 on free position shots thanks to a Clemson goalie squad composed of sophomore Emily Lamparter, graduate Krissy Kowalski and freshman Ava Delyra.

Clemson will be back in action on Wednesday when it hosts Furman University at Historic Riggs Field at 4 p.m. EST.