Clemson shuts down Winthrop in third straight win of inaugural season

Aralynn Minnick // Asst. Photo Editor
The Clemson women’s lacrosse team is 3-0 in its inaugural season with wins over Wofford, Furman and Winthrop. 

Clemson lacrosse secured its third win of the season in a resounding 21-1 victory over Winthrop on Saturday in the team’s first-ever road game. 

Clemson continued their entrance to the world of NCAA lacrosse in a dominating fashion. By the end of the first quarter, the Tigers were up 9-0. Winthrop did not get a ball in the net until the fourth quarter. 

Senior attacker Hanna Hilcoff has proven to be a key player for the Tigers, scoring seven goals in the game, six of which took place in the first 15 minutes. The former Oregon Duck now totals a team-high 16 goals this season.

Behind Hilcofff in scoring were Gianna New, Bella Martire and Chloe Willard, who each scored a hat trick. Head coach Allison Kwolek has continued to demonstrate her faith across the span of her offense, using eight different scorers. 

Clemson also capitalized on free possession shot opportunities, with four of its goals coming from Winthrop penalties.

The Tigers’ defense was on the top of its game as the Eagles went 1 for 10 on shots on goal, compared to Clemson’s 21 of 26. 

Despite just one penalty in each of the first three periods, five yellow cards were thrown out in the last quarter alone. Three of the five were called on Clemson within the final 45 seconds of the game.

With the win, the Tigers have now outscored opponents 63-5 in their first three games.

Clemson will be back in action on Wednesday when it hosts Gardner Webb at 4 p.m. EST at Historic Riggs Field.