Viral in the Valley: Game day outfits

Craig Mahaffey // Courtesy

Clemson students in game day outfits cheer on the Clemson football team during a game against Boston College in 2021.

Game days at Death Valley are some of the best times to be a Clemson student. From tailgates to pictures to screaming on the hill, football games bring the entire student body together. And one of the most exciting parts about game days is choosing your outfit. 

Much like other southern football schools, game days at Clemson tend to be their own runway shows. It can be overwhelming to find clothes that are comfortable and fashionable, so here are some tips for turning up in style on game days. 

Us Clemson Tigers bleed orange, but for your average person, that color is not typically their first choice. This means that many orange items will be on sale for much less than the original price. So, a great course of action when curating your game day closet is to check the clearance sections of your favorite stores.

We are all college students, so we do not have hundreds of dollars to spend on new clothes each game day season. Hollister, Aritizia, Princess Polly, Urban Outfitters and so many more popular clothing stores have clearance sections where you can filter items by color and price. And as much as orange is Clemson’s main color, don’t forget about purple when you are planning your outfits! 

If you cannot find orange or purple clothing that you like, no worries! One of the best ways to make any outfit into a game day outfit is to wear neutrals and accessorize with orange and purple. Any plain dress or romper can be turned into a game-day fit with the addition of jewelry or other accessories. Many local boutiques in downtown Clemson and the surrounding area sell beautiful Clemson-inspired jewelry and accessories.

For all the students migrating to Clemson from outside the South, make sure you get yourself a pair of cowboy boots as you prepare for the school year. Cowboy boots are the perfect complement to any outfit and will keep your feet comfortable and covered throughout the all-day affair. Boots can range from dark brown to blinding white, keeping your feet free from blisters even when you are running down The Hill. 

The most important thing for any game-day outfit is to be creative and be yourself! Outside of wearing cheetah print, there is no wrong way to dress for football games in Death Valley. Whether you are in a dress and boots or a jersey and sneakers, you will still have an amazing time!