Names to know for freshmen

Caleb Browder // Alumnus

Tillman Hall is one of the most well-known buildings on Clemson’s campus.

College campuses have lots of names, and Clemson is no exception. However, Clemson has made it extra hard by changing the names of many of the most-used spots on campus, but many of the upperclassmen still use the old ones. Additionally, some names were just invented but aren’t official.
Here’s a quick guide to the names of the spots on campus you might hear called multiple things.
Old Main/Tillman Hall
The building in question is the most iconic on campus, right on Bowman Field, and historically was known as Old Main until, in the 1940s, it was renamed Tillman Hall.
This building rests almost right in the center of campus and houses the College of Education.
Snow Beach/Y Beach
Historically, the area where the Snow Family Outdoor Fitness and Wellness Complex now stands was operated by the YMCA as a similar facility open to the entire Clemson community. The facility provided lake access and storage for Clemson Outdoor Recreation and Education. 
However, the University got the area in the mid-2010s after the YMCA moved to a new facility near Seneca and began upgrading the facilities, including new sports fields and the Andy Quattlebaum Outdoor Education Center, the new home for CORE. The whole area is now officially known as the Snow Fitness Center but is known around campus as Y Beach.
Core Campus and its new names
The newer dorms on the west side of campus between the Shoeboxes and the Greek Quad used to be known as Core Campus.
Core A is now Gressette Hall, housing freshmen.
Core B, also known as Core dining hall, is now known as McAlister Dining Hall and The Dish at McAlister.
Core C, now DesChamps Hall, and Core D, now Cribb Hall, form the buildings of the Clemson Univeristy Honors College.
Death Valley/Memorial Stadium
The stadium where the Tigers play is Clemson’s Memorial Stadium. The field on which they play is Frank Howard Field.
The stadium was named Memorial Stadium because it was completed just after the start of World War II when many Clemson students and alumni were either going to war or dying in combat.
The stadium became known as “Death Valley” after a comment by the Presbyterian College football coach in the 1950s about how playing against Clemson was like going to play in Death Valley, referring to its location down in between the cemetery and the intramural fields and just how much PC lost.
Since then, Clemson Football has made many more coaches agree with that sentiment, and the nickname stuck.