What sport updates you missed over break

Matt Mynes // Photo Editor

Clemson defensive end K.J. Henry celebrates during the Tigers’ game against Miami in Memorial Stadium on Nov. 19, 2022.

Winter break may have sent most students home for the holidays, but the world of Clemson sports never stops turning. Here’s what you may have missed over the last month in athletic news:

Football loses key players to draft, transfer portal

Former five-star recruits K.J. Henry and Myles Murphy are among the several Clemson players who have decided to declare for the NFL draft and will not be returning to Memorial Stadium come fall.

Other players who have declared include Bryan Bresee, Davis Allen, Jordan McFadden and Trenton Simpson.

Kobe Pace and DJ Uiagalelei are two more notable players leaving the team, both having entered the transfer portal in December. Uiagalelei has since declared to Oregon State, with Pace joining former Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott at Virginia.

Fortunately for the Tigers, defensive linemen Tyler Davis, Xavier Thomas and Ruke Orhorhoro announced they will be playing with the Tigers once again. 

Men’s basketball on the come up

The Clemson men’s basketball team is dominating the court thus far, sitting at No. 1 in the ACC after defeating Pittsburgh 75-74 last week. 

With a 13-3 overall and 5-0 conference record, it is the first time since the 1996-97 season the Tigers have won their first five conference games. The win against Pitt also marked head coach Brad Brownell’s 398th career win. 

New athletic facilities construction begins 

A Dec. 7 ceremonial groundbreaking marked the start of the $37.5 million construction of the new women’s lacrosse, gymnastics and rowing facilities. 

In this project, a formal complex and field for the lacrosse team will be built, alongside a locker room and practice facility for gymnastics. The rowing center is also undergoing improvements to its training space and infrastructure. 

Also included will be a 10,000-square-foot student-athlete village and recovery center. Set to serve the athletes, the village will house strength and conditioning areas, as well as designated sports science and nutrition spaces.

Tennis schedules announced

Clemson’s women’s tennis will be bringing back eight players for the spring, alongside mid-year enrollee Leigh Van Zyl for the 2023 season.

With their first match set as a home opener on Jan. 14, the Tigers will begin conference play in late February, with their first in-conference opponent being Louisville on Feb. 24. 

The men’s schedule was also released, likewise welcoming eight returners and a new five-star recruit, Ethan Silva.

The men’s home opener will take place on Jan. 15, and the Tigers will face their first ACC opponent on March 3 against NC State.