Clemson struggles to defend from beyond the arc, falls to Duke

Caleb Browder, Photo Editor

Head coach Amanda Butler enters her third season as the Tigers’ head coach. Butler was the 2018 ACC Coach of the Year in her first season with the Tigers. In her second season, Butler led the Tigers to an 8-23 record.

The Tigers went on the road to Duke on Thursday but could not pull an upset against the Blue Devils, falling 66-56 and dropping to 2-4 in ACC play. 

Key players in Thursday night’s game included senior forward Amari Robinson, who led Clemson with 16 points, and freshman guard Ruby Whitehorn, who poured in 12. Additionally, forward Hannah Hank nearly had a double-double with 8 points and  11 rebounds.

On the other side of the court, Duke guard Celeste Taylor was the leading scorer for the Blue Devils with 19 points. 

A major challenge Clemson faced was its struggle to connect from beyond the arc. The team shot 3-of-10 from the 3-point line, compared to Duke’s nine 3-pointers. 

While Clemson struggled offensively, its defense was stingy at times, as the Tigers tied the game up with under a minute left in the second quarter before Duke responded with a 3-pointer to enter the break with a three-point lead. 

The Tigers did draw within single digits as the fourth quarter transpired, but ultimately, Duke’s 24-point third quarter made a Clemson comeback insurmountable. 

Clemson will see the road again and hope to bounce back after their loss when it faces Pittsburg on Sunday at 2 p.m. EST.