Clemson ice hockey defeats Georgia Tech to stay undefeated this semester

Ellie Godwin // Provided

Clemson celebrates a goal with a huddle during its game against Georgia on Dec. 2, 2022. 

The Clemson ice hockey team defeated Georgia Tech by a score of 4-3 on Friday, giving the Tigers a three-game win streak, which is now the longest they’ve maintained this season. 

Propelled by centerman Mike McKeon and left-winger Sully Kopf, who both had multi-point games with one goal and one assist each, Clemson defeated the Yellow Jackets for the second time this season. Alongside McKeon and Kopf, goaltender Josh Bailey stood strong with 22 saves in 25 shots.  

While the first period lacked action, it did not lack intensity. Stoppages in play were at a minimum as neither team recorded a penalty, and the only goal of the period did not come until the 11:56 mark, when Clemson centerman Graydon Schweizer, assisted by team captain Jack Owen-Turner, buried a shot from his knees.

Up 1-0, the Tigers went into the second period with momentum, which they capitalized on within the first three minutes when left-winger Sully Kopf netted Clemson’s second of the night on a 2-on-1 play with McKeon.

Georgia Tech’s Mark Ashbeck took the first penalty of the game to put the Tigers on the power play. Although Clemson did not take advantage, centerman Nick Chesare scored shortly after to give the Tigers a commanding 3-0 lead entering the third period.

Within the first two minutes of the third period, Clemson centerman Troy Gouveia took a penalty for slashing, and the Yellow Jackets went on their first power play. Clemson’s McKeon quickly shut down hopes of redemption when he netted a shorthanded goal from the top of the circle for a 4-0 lead.

As Georgia Tech battled with the Tigers for the remainder of their power play, centerman Matthew Connelly eventually placed the Yellow Jackets on the board. With 10 minutes left, Connelly’s goal forced a momentum shift in favor of Georgia Tech. 

“I thought we played a really good 50 minutes,” McKeon said. “And then (the) wheels kind of came off there in the end. But I think we were all pretty confident that we were gonna win that game. We just had to figure it out there in the last few minutes.”

With 7:55 remaining, Georgia Tech scored its second goal, making the score 4-2. One minute later, Clemson took its second penalty of the night, giving Georgia Tech a chance to trim its deficit.

The Yellow Jackets did not score on the power play, but Connelly scored his second goal of the night soon after with just two minutes remaining in regulation. The goal served as a wake-up call for the Tigers.

In a last-chance effort to equalize, Georgia Tech pulled its goalie to add a sixth attacker with one minute remaining. Clemson’s lead was too great to overcome, however, and the Tigers secured their third win in as many games. 

“I thought that was overall one of the best games that we’ve played so far,” Bailey said. “We kind of let up in the last 10 minutes, but we still grinded in the last two…I don’t think they got (even) one or two shots in the last two minutes. I think that was a good grind out to save the game.”

The Tigers also welcomed two new players to the roster this week: Ethan Callahan and John McKeon, both of whom contributed positively to the win. 

“We had a couple of new guys come out,” Bailey said. “John McKeon and Ethan Callahan… I thought they came out, and they played explosive in their first game.”

The Tigers know this win is significant. Not only are they fighting for a playoff spot, but they are also fighting for a big rivalry win over South Carolina this coming Saturday. 

“(This win) was big for our team,” McKeon said. “We haven’t played in an atmosphere like this in a while. Going into next weekend and South Carolina, this is a really good test for us, and I’m glad we came out on top.”

Clemson plans to continue its winning streak going into the in-state matchup next week. 

Schweizer spoke confidently on behalf of his team, saying, “I think we’re 100% gonna beat South Carolina next week.”