New year, same deal: Most popular resolutions

Jackson Copeland // Asst. Art Editor
New Year New Ger

Once the bottles have been popped, the old year toasted and the fireworks set off, it is time to get down to the business of the new year: resolutions. 

With the new year comes the shared sentiment of the “new you” as well. Here are some of the most popular resolutions and some of the thoughts behind them.

The top three most popular goals all revolve around the idea of physical well-being — exercise more, eat healthier and lose weight. 

In order to create the ever-sought-after “new you,” one must improve their health and wellness by leading an overall healthier life. The idea is that by creating a healthier physical form, you will improve your well-being and have your best year yet.

IHRSA statistics show that “12% of all gym sign-ups happen in January, while the rest of the year accounts for an average of 8.3% of sign-ups.” Some have even dubbed this phenomenon the “January gym rush.”

Another popular resolution is to save more money. 

Unsurprisingly, many want to live more economically sound lives because the benefits are plentiful. Saving more money can allow for more opportunities like travel and make for a more comfortable retirement in the long run.

Likely spurred on by the increase in family time over the holidays, the next most popular resolution is to spend time with friends and family. As we become more consumed by screen time with each passing year, many vow to remedy that by being face-to-face with loved ones.

While many resolutions slip away from us as life kicks back into gear, it is always important to continue setting goals and passionately pursuing them. If we continue to make resolutions, we continue to pledge to better ourselves. But it is just as important to remember that self-bettering looks different for everyone, and Jan. 1 might just be another Sunday for some people!